Chapter Four

Camilla sat beside the Queen, surrounded by other Ladies from Noble houses. From her seat to the Queen's left, Lady Ceira Lannister sat speaking of how her Good Daughter had been abducted and was to be sold to a brothel. Camilla shuddered at the uncaring tone of the older woman. Camilla couldn't help but wonder if this was the way her mother spoke of her. If the same chill accompanied Lady Tully's words as it did her very presence.

"Perhaps the Princess can give us some insight." Lady Ceira spoke, breaking Camilla from her reverie and direct the group's attention to where Rhaenyra stood listening in on the conversation.

"I'm not sure how I could," Rhaenyra chuckled. "I've never been to the stepstones."

"Your dear uncle is the great mind behind this war. Is he not?"

Camilla's blood went cold at the mention of the missing prince. Her jaw clenched as she remembered how Daemon had left without a single word. The bracelet on her wrist felt hot to the touch as if burning with the memory of how intimate the moment Daemon gifted it to her felt.

"I wouldn't know. I've not spoken to Daemon in years." Rhaenyra spoke, causing Camilla to snap back to attention.

"Since you supplanted him as heir."

"Daemon made his choices, Lady Ceira. The Princess was more suited to the role." The Queen spoke, silencing Lady Ceira. Camilla couldn't help the pride filling her at her friend's good nature.

"You would be wise to remember whose company you are in, it would be a shame if word of how you speak made it's way back to the King." Camilla warned.

"He's made a mess and the King must put an end to it," An older lady wearing a red dress with a small dog sitting on her lap spoke up. "Send fleets and men and clear out the triarchy for good."

"But we are not at war." Camilla spoke up. "Or have I missed the decree, Lady Redwyne?"

"The crown is at war, Lady Tully. Though the king refuses to admit it, we've been dragged into it by Prince Daemon and the Sea Snake."

"And how have you served the Realm of late, Lady Redwyne?" Princess Rhaenyra spoke, examining her nails. "By eating cake?"

A tenseness passed over the group at Rhaenyra's words. Alicent and Camilla looking to the princess with varying emotions. Allicent's gaze was a reprimand, a reminder of how not to act in court, while Camilla's was a look of pride and fondness mixed with a hint of sadness, the young Tully girl missed her cousin's quick wit and sharp tongue.

Rhaenyra quickly excused herself from the group, and exited the tent all together.

The conversation continued, though Camilla tuned it out, instead venturing off to where the young prince played with his nursemaids. Scooping the young boy up, Camilla flashed a smile to the King before walking back to where the rest of the ladies sat.

"You grabbed Aegon," Allicent whispered as Camilla took her seat beside the Queen. "If I didn't know better I'd say you plan to steal my son."

"I can't help it if his Aunt Camilla is his favorite, it just goes to show he has fine taste in ladies." Camilla joked, holding the young boy close to her chest and placing a kiss to the crown of his head.

Alicent was right though, Camilla would steal Aegon if she could. The girl loved the toddler as if he was her own, spending the most time with the young boy other than his nursemaid.

As Aegon snuggled into his Aunt's hold, Yelling sounded from where the throne stood. The princess' voice could be heard arguing with her father, capturing everyone's attention. Camilla held Prince Aegon closer, hoping to soothe the young boy as he started whimpering at the sound of yelling. Alicent reached over the seat and took one of Camilla's hands in her own. The Tully girl squeezed her friend's hand, hoping to bring Alicent some comfort. The argument went on for a moment until Alicent's father managed to interrupt the two clashing dragons.

...

Rhaenyra had disappeared, the whispers said. The Princess had taken off on a horse and rode into the King's Woods, her sworn protector, Ser Criston following after her. Neither the Princess nor her knight had not been seen from as night fell.

Camilla sat beside Alicent surrounded by the same ladies from earlier as dinner was served. The gossip had since turned from the war in the Stepstones to the runaway Princess. And though Alicent and Camilla tried to keep the conversation under wraps, they were no match for Lady Ceira's love for gossip. Snide comments and sharp looks could only do so much to dissuade the Lady of one of the most powerful families.

Lord Jason's approach to the throne drew both Alicent and Camilla's attention, watching as the Lord presented the King with a gift and spoke, unaware of how disdain and anger grew on the King's face. Until the King snapped causing Lord Jason to retreat, his tail between his legs.

Alicent's father than approached the throne speaking with the king for a moment before the King broke into a fit of laughter at something Ser Otto had said. Afterwards Alicent and Camilla watched as the King emptied and refilled his cup at a worrying rate. When the King stumbled from the tent, Alicent followed after, leaving Camilla alone with Aegon.

...

The next day, Camilla stood behind the King's table, beside Alicent with Aegon on her hip. The men had just returned from a successful hunt having slain the Hart they were after. Though Camilla did not care for the matter, she did not find the idea of hunting an enjoyable one. So Camilla tuned out the King and his Hand as they discussed how the hunt went, instead cooing at the toddler in her arms. That is until Alicent nudged her, nodding to where Rhaenyra rode in on her horse, covered in blood. The corpse of a boar dragging behind her.

Camilla was impressed, never having imagined the Princess could do such a thing.