A Brother's Case

Lee Heesung's Epilogue

-10 years after the Cosmic War-

Years ago, Seoul fell enormously as a result of Leviathan's dreadful manifesto. The destruction led buildings to fall.

Grounds to break.

Lives that are taken.

The Seven Princes of Hell then swore to remain in Seoul until conditions were restored. Everything is resolved in the end, everyone concluding with an aftermath that is a near success.

The Korean government has to work with extra hands because of the disruption that transpired with Heesung and Soobin leading the entire restoration.

Although, that occurred ten years ago, now he's heading to the cemetery of his colleague, paying him a visit since today marks his tenth death anniversary.

This is the only occasion wherein Heesung gets his free time. He'd sacrifice anything just to feel his best friend's presence again.

"Heesung! Earth to Heesung!"

Heesung glances up from the articles on past events he was browsing on his phone when he catches Soobin seeking to get his attention by snapping his fingers across his face.

"Yes?"

Soobin sighs, "Still daydreaming, aren't we? You love doing that."

Whilst adjusting his coat, the detective shrugs at him, "It has been rather tiring for us. My mind is all over the place, my apologies."

"There's no need to apologize. We've been through enough. Say, after all these years, you still look pleasing. You haven't changed one bit, Heesung." Soobin remarks on Heesung's young appearance.

'Maybe that's because I'm immortal.' Heesung thought to himself.

"Are we there yet?" Heesung alters the subject while diverting his eyes away from Soobin.

Raindrops are slicing through the car window as Soobin peers outside. He does, however, manage to become familiar with the route they are on despise being blinded by rain.

"Actually, we're here now."

The vehicle is parked by the pavement in front of the cemetery's gates, its wheels grinding against the concrete as it comes to a halt. Soobin reaches for the umbrella and steps out first before letting Heesung out.

He opens the umbrella and shares it with his colleague.

This scene is all too familiar to Heesung.

Before proceeding to the cemetery, Soobin let out a, "Let's go."

-

They moved up the sluggish trail that ascends to Yeonjun's grave. The ambiance was made more dismal by the sound of raindrops patting on their umbrella.

They stand in front of his tomb with Soobin tossing a bunch of flowers on top of it.

Neither of them dared to speak, not knowing what to say after years of his death.

Soobin felt such crushing guilt that it made him sick of himself, he never wanted to face Yeonjun ever again.

He let that monster devour him, he ran away because he was incapable of saving him.

He held back his tears, patting Heesung's shoulder before handing him the umbrella, "I can't face him like this. It's unfair. I should've..."

"Hey, don't say that." Heesung reminds him, Soobin sighs to this.

"I'll head on over to Beomgyu." Soobin trailed off before leaving Heesung alone with Yeonjun.

The detective faked a smile to let Yeonjun know he was alright, "Hey there, pal, it's me... your partner in crime."

They were partners in crime. Every complex case was resolved in the field by Heesung, with Yeonjun completing the holes and tying up loose ends for each instance.

He couldn't do it without him.

"I'm glad to see you're in a better place now, at least you won't get to deal with Soobin's annoying ass all day."

Heesung chuckles to himself, imagining how even more chaotic it would be if Yeonjun was still here.

"But... there is no doubt that... it does get a bit lonely at times...

Like I'm still longing for your presence.

We miss you. I miss you.

And till next time, let's drink the night away like we used to do, friend."

Heesung rubs away his tears, comforted by the knowledge that Yeonjun's vision and devotion ended up in a place created for people just like him.

"Here lies Choi Yeonjun
1999 - 2022
A hero, and a friend."

-

Lucifer, the Prince of Pride.

"We are rarely proud when we are alone."
- Voltaire

-

a/n: so yeah it has been a long time since I've last updated i am truly sorry for the hold up! I'll be posting two chapters a week maybe?? or maybe a day?? I'm not entirely sure but the updates are coming alright! and it's my birthday so happy birthday to me