CHAPTER 36

Draco had run for a while now. He was feeling tired already. It seemed his nightmare followed him even when he was awake. The dream had revived some of his terrible memories, which Draco wished to forget.

Stopping in his tracks, Draco caught his breath. He checked the time on his smartwatch. It was seven already. The sky was dark. There were fewer people around him in the park.

Considering he should probably leave for home, Draco turned to his heels, jogging. But when he came across the flashy city club, he wondered if he should have a drink. He had been going through a lot if he wasn't lying. A cold glass of beer might help in calming his nerves.

Now, still sitting on the bar counter after having his fifth glass of beer for the day, Draco heard a familiar voice call his name. He turned to see Y/N walking toward him in a blue dress with her white jacket on it. Her cheeks were red from the cold, and Draco felt the urge to pinch them lightly. But he didn't since they were in a public place.

Draco was so lost in admiring her that he forgot to reply to her.

"What are you doing here?" she asked.

"I uh..." Draco found it surprisingly difficult to talk. "I stopped for a drink."

He looked over at the counter, where the bartender placed another glass of beer. Draco picked it up and sipped it. The cooling drink felt good against his warm throat.

"Want one?" he asked Y/N.

"No, but how many have you had?" she asked, concerned.

Draco was about to answer her when a guy interrupted their conversation.

"There you are," he said to Y/N without noticing Draco. "Didn't plan to run out on me, did you?"

Y/N chuckled, and it confused Draco. What was funny? And why was she talking to this guy in the middle of their conversation?

"Not so soon," Y/N replied and turned to face Draco. "This is my friend Draco from school."

Then she faced the guy and said, "Draco, this is Jason. He is my... uh... date."

"Pleased to meet you," the guy, whom Y/N addressed as Jason forwarded his hand for a shake. But Draco just looked at it for a second before turning to Y/N.

"What date?" he said before processing.

Y/N recoiled and faced Jason without replying to Draco.

"Why don't you go ahead and find us a table? I'll join you in a minute," she said to him, smiling.

Draco couldn't understand what was happening. Perhaps it was due to the alcohol.

"Sure," Jason said before leaving and touching Y/N's shoulder affectionately, which made Draco grip his beer glass tighter.

"Care to explain what's going on?" Draco asked almost rudely as soon as the guy left. "What date are you talking about?"

"No, you first tell me how many drinks of that have you had?" she pointed at Draco's glass.

"I don't know," he slurred. "I didn't count."

"Draco, you're drunk!" Y/N stated with a hint of disgust.

"Thanks for telling me that," Draco said, "Now would you like to answer me?"

"Jason and I are on a date just like you wanted me to," Y/N stated as a matter of fact. "I told you about him, remember?"

"But you didn't tell me you were going on a date with him today," he said in frustration.

"It must have slipped my mind," she reasoned.