CHAPTER 44

Y/N's POV

"Why aren't you finished yet?" I scowled at Dianne and a guy working with her. They were putting up the finishing ribbon.

It was the marathon day. The race would start in about an hour. The arrangements were being made. Dani was already busy with the important stuff. She had warned me that there should be no last minutes things remaining. I was given the responsibility of supervising and coordinating with the juniors. But it seemed all they were interested in was talking.

"We received the ribbon minutes ago," the boy complained.

I groaned. "Where's Suzanne? I asked her to give it to you half an hour ago."

"She's over there," the guy said, "Flirting with that dick."

I saw Suzanne chatting with some senior guy. "Suzanne!" I glared at her when she looked at me and went back to work.

"Hey," Dianne waved at me.

"Hello, Dianne," I greeted.

"So," she said, fixing her glasses, "Do you think I have a shot with him?" She looked over to the guy who was helping her out.

I narrowed my eyes. "Him? I don't know. He looks like someone who would go after someone out of his league."

"What do I do then?" Dianne asked.

"Do you really like him?"

"Yeah, well, he seems nice," she said, "I would like to get to know him better."

"Alright," I nodded. "Follow my advice. Don't act needy, or he's gonna think you cannot live without him. We don't do that here."

"Do you think I need a makeover? Do I need to take off my glasses?"

"Hell, nah, girl," I widened my eyes. "You stay who you are. You don't change for a boy. If he can't like you for who you are, then you don't need him. You'll find someone better. It's his loss."

"Just for the record, hell, nah, sounded very much unlike you," she commented.

"Yeah, well, I have been using Dani's expressions." I cleared my throat. "Speaking of her, I need to check if she's doing fine. I'll see you later."

The last I saw Dani, she prepared for the special guest's arrival at school. I figured she'd still be there. The school was pretty much abandoned. There were only the volunteers present, and most of them were working on the road, where the participants would run. The participants were on the school ground, probably warming up.

As soon as I entered from the main gate, someone pulled around the corner. I half-screamed out of fear. But the scream died down in my throat when I saw Draco's gleaming eyes staring in mine.

I closed my mouth and gulped.

What is he doing here?

"Are you out of your mind?!" I yelled as I freed my hand from his grasp. "What are you doing?"

"I need to talk to you," he said.

"Well, I don't have anything to say to you." I tried to walk away, but Draco pulled me back.

"Keep your hands off me," I said, pushing his hands away.

"Will you listen to me?!" Draco raised his voice.

"What?" I shouted back.

He sighed. "I... I need to say something. Something important."

"After what you've done, Draco," I said, "I think there's hardly anything we need to talk about."