CHAPTER 59

Draco looked at the passing dark clouds outside the manor. The cold winds blew.

"Dragon?" he heard his mother calling him. It was after a while she had addressed him by that. He took it as a positive sign.

"Are you okay?"

"I'm fine, Mother," he said, turning his back to the window and toward his mother.

"You seem very quiet these days. I wanted to know if everything was well with the muggle world," Narcissa continued. "Seems like it isn't suiting you well."

Draco didn't reply to that. His eyes wandered away from his mother's. He couldn't look in the eyes and say everything was alright.

"Is it about the girl?" she asked again. Narcissa knew it was indeed about the girl before she asked it. She just wanted to know if Draco was ready to talk about it.

"I wish it hadn't," Draco replied as he walked a few steps past his mother, trying to leave the room.

"You can always move back here."

That made him stop in his tracks.

Letting out a faint chuckle, he answered, "Funnily, that's the plan."

"Well, I'm glad." Narcissa turned herself to her son.

"But after I finish this term," Draco added, facing her as well.

"You know you don't have to," she said. "Your father can take care of that."

"But I want to," he said more to himself. "I want to."

Narcissa walked a few steps closer to her son and held his hand. Looking him in the eyes, she said, "Things are better now. I didn't have a hope, but they are. I know I was weak for a while. I was scared for our family. And you were strong for me, dragon. You really were. But you don't have to. Not anymore."

"I know," Draco whispered.

"Good," she said. "Because I don't want you to suffer more than you already have."

Draco sighed. "I'm fine, mother, really. Things are good now, but they won't be always."

He freed his hand from her grasp and stepped toward the window again. The clouds were getting darker.

"Father is free now, but that doesn't mean our problems have ended. There's an army of death eaters raging against Father's release."

"I believe the walls of Azkaban are enough to keep them contained," Narcissa said.

Draco scoffed. "Do you honestly believe that?"

Before Narcissa could reply, he added, "The death eaters have already escaped once. They can easily do it again. And I don't believe Manor is the safest place for us to be."

"We could seek some help from the ministry," Narcissa said.

Draco sarcastically smiled. "Yeah, out of everyone, they're gonna protect the fucking death eaters."

"Draco!" Narcissa gasped. It was only then that Draco realised he had gone too far.

Pressing his eyes close, he rubbed his temple. "I'm... I'm sorry. I shouldn't have... I shouldn't..."

"Shh..." Narcissa said as she pulled him in a hug. "It's all right, my boy. It's okay."

Draco hugged her, holding back tears. He took deep breaths, calming himself while Narcissa rubbed his back.

Y/N's POV

"Morning," I yawned as I walked into the kitchen.

"Good afternoon," Mom replied with a smile.