Chapter 9

"The emperor is hosting a banquet in celebration for another year of his reign." Leon spoke, in the midst of signing more documents on his desk.

"The banquet will be held in three days." He said, not lifting his head to look at her.

"You will come with me. You will be my partner." He proceeded.

"Then I must prepare myself for the banquet, my lord."

Finally, Leon raised his head, now looking at her and holding her ye contact after a few minutes of not doing so. "....."

He gazed upon her in silence, as though thinking about something.

"Do that." He said. "I'll give you money to spend. Buy new dresses and jewel ties with that."

Cordelia softly nodded, holding the faint gentle smile on her lips. "Yes, thank you my lord."

"You may go."

She lightly bowed, respectfully, as she turned around to leave. Her feet took small and quiet steps, eventually nearing the door. But before she could reach for the knob, a voice made her stop.

"Ah. Right, had I not told you before to call me Leon?"

His voice made her halt amidst taking a step.

Cordelia turned around, not expecting to her such a thing. "Oh, yes but-"

"Call me Leon from now on."

Slowly, she nodded. "Alright... Leon."

"Get used to it by now. Because you will be required to call me that every time we go to social events."

'Ah, that's right...' Cordelia thought, remember something important that was settled between them, that had slipped from her mind for a while now.

"Just like before, we need to act like a real couple in front of other aristocrats. Especially on social gatherings."

'That's it, something that we had agreed upon the contract.'

"Yes, I understand." She nodded, meeting his cold gaze.

"Good. Very well, Del." He said.

For Cordelia, who's heard her intimate name come out so suddenly from Leon, who had always been distant through their marriage, it was surreal.

She did not expect to hear Del from him. She looked at him, brows subtly rose from surprise. But soon he broke contact as he continued to sign over the documents on his table.

"You may go." He spoke emotionlessly.

"Then I shall take my leave, Leon." Cordelia turned around, gently opening the door before exiting the room, unaware of the eyes of her her husband that bore on her back. His gaze never left her until she closed the door behind her.

Clack

"Ha..." A quiet sigh left his lips, turning his head to the meal his wife brought.

Just in that very moment, Leon's stomach suddenly to express its hunger. The sound of grumbling silently filled the room just as Cedric stepped back inside.

"Well..." Cedric grinned upon greeting his master. "It just seems like the madam came at the perfect time, my lord." He said, chuckling.

He quickly received a glare from Leon with that.

"Well?"

"Yes, my lord?"

"Aren't you going to bring that plate here?" Leon spoke, frowning at Cedric who stood beside the tray.