Chapter 10

'Right, my dear?'

'My dear...' His exact words repeated on her mind for the tenth time, recalling what he had said earlier, and recalling the events that had occurred earlier.

"Gosh." A faint murmur escaped her lips as she covered her mouth, still in disbelief. Her face slightly burned as she recalled once more how Leon pulled her closer.

To act so intimate and close in front of the emperor and the nobles, was something that Cordelia grew rather familiar with. But earlier was certainly more than what she could handle.

As Leon had suddenly pulled her closer while calling her a sweet endearment, it surely took Cordelia aback.

By now, her face was brightly burning as she recalled that moment over and over again.

Her hands gently gripped the railing of the pavilion in the middle of the garden as she stared upon the empty sky.

"Hah..." She breathed tiredly, as though a sigh. She still could not fathom Leon's sudden change of character.

She was alone in the middle of the royal garden, taking a rest after she had just finished dancing with her husband at the ball.

Cordelia's face slightly burned red as she recalled the moments of which she had accidentally stepped on Leon's foot. She was embarrassed and was contemplating herself for it had been quite a long time since she danced a proper waltz.

'The ball was sudden. But it is still my fault for neglecting the the thought of a dance lessons.'

'I should take a lesson at frequent times.' She thought to herself, quietly pouting her lips in disdain.

'Gracious, I even sprained my ankle.' She heaved a sigh as she looked down her feet, aching badly.

It hurt to move, so Cordelia stayed the entire time in the pavilion located in the middle of the royal garden, after she had sprained her ankle. Merely, it was to avoid socializing with other nobilities while Leon was away speaking with the emperor.

A cold shiver ran down her spine as she recalled the annoyance evidently plastered in Leon's handsome face, the moment where she had stepped on his foot again for the third time.

'He must've been annoyed by me.'

'No- irked rather.'

"I think this would be the reason he'll dislike me-"

"What are you murmuring alone to yourself here?"

Cordelia flinched upon her seat, startled by the sudden voice. She turned around to see who it was, and as soon as she did, the small frown on her forehead disappeared in an instant upon realizing who it was. 

"Oh-!" She turned, facing Leon. "You're back."

"How did the meeting with the emperor go, Leon?"

His eyes lightly narrowed as he looked at her up and down, raising his brows in question. "It was fine. But why are you so jumpy?

"It's because... you suddenly appeared." She admitted.

"Anyone would normally not be startled with their husband." He said, looking at her with his pierce gaze. "Get used to it if you wish to keep up with the play." Words came from his mouth one after another as he gradually drew closer, taking steps toward Cordelia.

Her eyes widened in surprise, confused as she gazed upon his arm that was wrapped around her waist. A breath hitched in Cordelia's throat as she felt his warm breath against her lips.