Chapter 17

"My lady... Please stay in bed!"

"I'm fine, Lilibeth..." Her strained voice was enough to make her ladies in waiting wail from worry.

"No! Milady, you must remain in bed. Your health is not at best at the moment."

A warm hand gently pressed against Cordelia's forehead. Though the hand was genuinely warm, it felt really cold when it touched Cordelia's skin. 

"My lady, your fever has not gone down."

"Please listen to us and lie back." They pleaded her.

Cordelia could do nothing but sigh. Her head felt heavy, and her vision was warped. Without a care, she rested back in bed and dragged the blanket over her body. The slight shivers from feeling cold made her feel worse.

"Please bear with it for a little longer my lady... Your medicine will be here any time soon."

"And we shall get you one more blanket!" Lilibeth added.

"Haa..." She breathed, nestled deeply into her soft bed. Cordelia gently get tightly closed her eyes shut as she let out a hot breath.

"Madam, I think that we should inform the master of your condition—"

"No— cough... Need..." She weakly muttered.

"B-But..!"

"It's just a fever." She weakly murmured.

'It's just a fever.' She repeated in her thoughts.

Resting in bed and doing nothing for an entire day made time for Cordelia seem like it's frozen. A mere second felt so long like a minute, and a minute felt like an hour.

Cordelia's eyes slowly became more heavy, heavier than the passing moment. Her body was burning hot. She couldn't move much nor could she talk much either. It was as though her whole body was weakened entirely.

'Having a weak body...'

'Is very troublesome sometimes.' A soft yet weak grunt left her lips as she tightly held the blanket closer. Her shivering body was not really warmed despite the two layers of thick blanket that covered her.

"Haah." She exhaled from her dry and sore throat.

With a strained expression, she thought to herself. 'I wish I would be well soon.' All while weakly gazing far upon the sky, through the large window in her room. Staring at a cast of nothingness, it was not long before Cordelia fell into a deep and peaceful slumber.

Leon was in the midst of another busy day, buried in a pile of documents from the palace he must read. Whether it'd be affairs or reports, everything was scattered in Leon's table.

The sharp quill on his table seemed to only be for display as he was to occupied reading through the same report again and again. Even though Leon was rereading it for the third time, nothing seemed to get through his head nor could he understand anything.

"You must focus, master." Cedric remarked. Which in return, earned a sharp glare from Leon.

"I. Am. Focused." He spoke firmly.

"It's because there's so many piles that I must read and sign. Looking at everything that I need to finish for today only makes me feel troubled." He groaned in annoyance. But really, none of what he said was entirely true. Partly, yes. But Leon knew very well that it was because his mind only contained Cordelia.