Chapter 22

His eyes widened. "Oh my... My sincere apologies." Said the man, quickly parting away from Cordelia. But he seemed to have hesitated letting go of her hand, which she desperately wished for from the very start.

'Finally...' She thought in relief as she began rubbing her hand that the man had finally let go of. She stole an annoyed glance at the fine yet annoying man. Just as she felt Leon's presence behind her.

"May I ask what you were doing to my wife?" Leon bluntly asked, emphasizing the word wife while evidently irked. He could not help but feel irritated, his lips twitching in jealousy.

"Apologies, my lord." The actor bowed his head but soon raised his head up high, as though proud.

"The lady was alone. I thought she was with no one." The man smiled innocently at Leon.

"Just because a lady is alone, does not necessarily mean that she is not married or is with someone, sir." Leon's voice came out sharply. Clearly, he was pissed.

However, it seems that his loud voice have garnered many of the passerby's attention. Some came to slow down as they passed them, and some turned their head back to look.

"Oh my... Isn't that Marquis Elvoye?"

"Ah, is that so, Marquis?" The actor faintly rose his brows at Leon as he took a brief look around them, noticing the attention they are getting.

"But there is no helping that your wife is beautiful. All I did was merely ask her name and give a proper greeting. I apologize for my rudeness."

By then, the corner of Leon's lips twitched in annoyance. "Sir, you kiss the hand of my wife even without her permission? What a delightful greeting it must be for my wife. Did you not hear her refusal?" He spoke sarcastically as he pulled Cordelia to his side.

"Did we hear it right? The actor was—"

Her heart was beating fast. Her face burning, not used to the eyes that watched them.

Before Cordelia could realize what she was doing, her hand had already tugged gently on Leon's side as she slowly rose to her feet to reach his ears.

"Dear, I don't think it is good to get this much attention..." She quietly whispered into Leon's ears.

And seconds soon, Leon's attention turned to her completely. But his eyes were still blazing, holding a sharp glare toward the actor, who only kept his head up with an innocent smile on his face that only made Leon more irritated.

'This man... is he not afraid of offending a noble?' Cordelia thought in disbelief. She couldn't help but ponder where the actor had gotten such courage and confidence from.

"Should you so easily let such a thing pass, then I won't." Leon replied bluntly.

"Leon—?"

"Many eyes are watching us..." She quietly whispered to him.

He turned to her. "And?"

Pure disbelief washed all over Cordelia's face. 'Are my ears playing with me?' She thought.

From the very start, she knew Leon as someone who deeply valued his own title and reputation, especially his stand among the nobility. And yet somehow, what he was doing right now was certainly not of any benefit toward what he deeply valued.