Chapter 30

"Are you sure with your decision to proceed with the plan?"

"Yes, your majesty." Leon replied.

A cunning smile was suddenly etched on the man's face, the only sun of the empire. "If that's the case, then I shall proceed with everything we've prepared." Said the emperor. "But I cannot help but wonder and be curious as to why you had a sudden change of mind, Marquis Elvoye?"

"Why is that... you no longer disagree with an execution, asuddenly

Leon clenched his jaw. "That woman... has been causing trouble in my private life lately." His darkened eyes blazed as he spoke. "And besides, sire. Evil doers must be punished one way or another. It's just a matter that her family is fitting for a severe punishment, just as you've planned." Leon smiled innocently.

"So I've heard. Lady Vivian, the fourth daughter of Count Gerhald has been harassing your wife. Is that true?"

His fist tightened that the veins in his hand became more evident. "Yes... I cannot bear that woman's harassment any longer. She is trifling with my marriage."

"She was dedicated to ruin your marriage. I have to apologize since it has been partly my fault. I asked you a favor to keep her by your side for a year in order to gather information and keep an eye on her father."

"Well... you asked me to pretend to be in love with sire... I had to make everyone believe to the point that even my wife thought that woman was my mistress."

"Pfft—!" A small laugh left the emperors lips. "Calm down now, your thoughts are very readable throughout your face, Leon. I never knew you could look scary." He laughed.

"Apologies, your majesty. Finally knowing the culprit behind those rumors... I really cannot hold my anger back as of now."

"Need not to be so angry now. Be patient and wait until that rebel family turns into ruins." Those words were enough to ease Leon's rage inside.

"Come to think of it, how is your relationship with your wife? After all those commotion with those rumors, you must've went through a lot of hardship at those times."

In an instant, at the mention of his wife, his expression softened and his glare was replaced with a tender gaze. "It is greatly fortunate for me my wife and I to have been doing well these past few days, your majesty." Leon smiled.

Well of course, it was pleasant for Leon, for he spent every night hugging her to sleep. However, for Cordelia, who couldn't keep up with his stamina, it was exhausting.

'Come to think of it, he's been in a good mood after he went on a vacation for week. This is the first time I've seen him like this.' Thought the emperor.

"This is the first time I've seen you so joyful for the past few years you've been working with me."

"That's because being with my wife makes me happy. She makes my days joyful, sire."

It was truly unbelievable, how one could quickly change emotions in a blink.

He rose his brows carefully at Leon's immediate response. "Oh?" He smiled meekly at him.

"I never thought I'd be able to see you in love in this life. Back then, you were focused on work. You were all about work, work, work. I thought you'd marry with your work instead since you were devoted to it." He laughed.

Leon carefully cleared his throat. "Your majesty... the only thing I can be devoted to more than my work, is my wife."

"Ha... the power of love." The emperor quietly mumbled.