Chapter 27

"W-What?" His eyes trembled as he met her indifferent gaze. His heart twisted, suddenly frozen as it dwelled. Something was killing him inside. Whether it was guilt or regret, Leon couldn't tell.

"That gigolo was you, right?"

His chest twisted more painfully, frozen.

"Delle, you... you know?" He stammered. He felt as though his world just stopped in that very moment.

"You thought I would not find out that it was you?"

"Delle, let me explain—" His voice that came out desperately was cut short when Cordelia let out a dismayed laugh.

Though she looked calm, her eyes burned onto him blazingly. "Did you have fun playing with me?"

"Ah, It must have been fun toying with a naive person like me."

"No, that's not it. Listen to me Delle—"

"Why should I listen to you, Marquis Elvoye? For even I, do not know whether what comes out of your mouth is the truth or not."

"Truly, I was foolish to have trusted you."

His heart trembled, painfully throbbing inside. "I..." He trailed, taking a step closer to Cordelia.

"Delle, I..." No words would come out of his mouth.

The eyes of Cordelia's that used to shine whenever she saw him was now emptily staring at him.

Those large hands of his tenderly held her slender wrists. Leon could not discern the emotion in her eyes, as though he was staring at an emotionless void.

"Delle..." He swallowed a breath. "I'll tell the you everything, please just listen to me..." He spoke pleadingly.

Yet no matter how much he pleaded, Cordelia did not heed to any of his words. Solely because what clouded her mind was all of the things that Leon had done.

"Delle..."

"Delle..."

His voice that called her name many times, slowly became a blur. She would laugh at her pitiful self if she could, but she couldn't.

In their almost two years of marriage, Cordelia tried everything to be a good wife. Although he was indifferent to her, she tried to understand him.

'I did my best to be a good wife and a good Marchioness...'

'I had to bear with all of it and keep all that I felt to myself. I did my best for almost two years, despite how hard it is for me. But after what I've found out?'

"...Delle?"

"Enough is enough." She spoke quietly. Her hopes of having a happy married life with him was gradually buried to the back of her mind.

'I've reached my limit.'

"Delle, I—"

"No wonder lady Vivian used to frequent here." Leon flinched upon hearing her words.

"You..." A reluctant voice came out from her lips as she slowly raised her head to look at Leon's desperate eyes.

"—have never told me that she was originally your fiancé, before you married me." As Cordelia let go of those words, she felt like needles were piercing her heart. The more she found out, the more her feelings for him began to lessen.

But for Leon, the pain she felt was thrice as worse. "Where in the world did you get that?"

"I was just an option for you from the very beginning. Now I get why you took her side all those time."