Not Real

Ophelia wakes up and reaches out for Austin but her heart drops when she does not feel him in the bed. She sits up and looks around, worriedly. Has he left? He would never do that to her, she knows it. She sees her ripped-up dress draped over her blue chair as well as Austin's clothes. She looks over at his bedside table, his wallet is gone but half his rings are still in his dish. She looks at her bedside table and sees a note, folded badly, on her side table. 'Little Freak' scribbled on it in messy handwriting. She grabs it and tries to read the messy handwriting.

I have gone with Moonbeam
to pick out a camper and get
us hunting shit. Get us packed, baby.

WE ARE GOING BIGFOOT HUNTING!!

She giggles and kisses the note. She is silly. He would never just leave. She freezes though when she hears the shower. That's odd. Maybe he is back already or has not left yet. She sits quietly in the bed and then hears the shower shut off, but she does not hear him singing. He always sings when he dries himself. Something feels off. Then she gasps as Jim suddenly appears out of the bathroom. "Hello, Ophelia. Finally decided to wake your lazy ass up I see," he says. Ophelia jumps out of bed and grabs her bedside lamp, ripping off the pretty lampshade and pointing it at him. "What are you doing here?" she asks him. "I have decided to forgive you and move back home," he says walking into the closet. "But I didn't ask for your forgiveness, I did not do anything and this is not your home anymore," she says trying to keep the wobble out of her voice. She is not scared of him, she is not scared of him, she is not scared of him. Jim appears at the cupboard door and looks at her. He is angry. "Where are my clothes?" he asks, his voice calm. It's always calm before he attacks her. "I...burnt them," she whispers. "You burnt them! I can't believe this! I decide to move back in for you and now I find out you burnt my clothing! You will fucking pay for that!" he shouts. Ophelia feels horrible, she feels sick and she can feel the tears in her eyes already. "I don't want you to be here," she whispers. "You are so pathetic. I am doing you a favor. No one wants you. You should be thanking me for coming back," he says. Ophelia shakes her head. "You are wrong," she whispers.

"What? Do you think Austin Post really wanted you? He is probably busy with someone else right now. Say thank you to me for coming back and then take me shopping to replace all my clothing."

"No."

"Say thank you."

"No."

Jim's face goes red with anger and he runs at Ophelia. She screams and drops the lamp then jumps on the bed and runs to the other side of it. Jim turns and glares at her. "I am going to beat the shit out of you and then I will show you what a real man is like!" he shouts and runs at her again. She screams again and jumps over the bed and back to where she had been, picking up the lamp again. She lets out a relieved breath when her mom, Aubrey, and Lacy race into her room. "What are you doing here!" her mom shouts at Jim. "What am I doing here? I live here! What are you doing here? This is my house! Get the fuck out you insane woman!" he shouts at Ophelia's mother. "Don't talk to my mother like that! And you don't live here!" Ophelia shouts. Jim turns to look at Ophelia. "How dare you raise your voice to me! You will get it now!" he shouts and steps to run at her. She screams again but then suddenly she sees her mother's fist connect his cheek. He stops and turns to her. "You bitch!" he shouts and then lunges at her. Ophelia, Aubrey, and Lacy all scream but her mother stands fast and pulls back her fist then punches forward and slams him straight in the nose. He stumbles back and Ophelia watches as blood starts pouring out of his nose as he wobbles around. He touches the blood and looks up at Ophelia. "She hit me, Ophelia, your mother just hit me," he cries. "Don't be silly, you ran into a door," she says.

"I did?"

"Yes."

Then she watches as his eyes roll back and he faints. She should be worried but all she can think about is that she hopes he does not get blood on the carpet Austin had bought her. "Ow," she hears her mom say then she drops the lamp and rushes to her side. "Oh, mom, are you ok? Aubrey, phone the police and tell them I have an intruder in my house. Oh, mom, your hand is swelling," she says rubbing it softly. "Oh it's fine," she giggles. Then suddenly Austin, Oliver, and her father appear in the doorway. Austin looks around and then realizes what has happened. Ophelia watches his face turn angry and then when Jim groans and sits up he moves toward Jim like a raging bull. "I am going fucking kill you!" he growls. Ophelia leaves her mother's side and rushes to Austin grabbing his arm. "Oh, no, no, please don't!" she begs. Austin stops and looks at her with a frown. "Please don't tell me you are protecting him," he says, hurt. "No! I am protecting you, sweetheart. You are on thin ice right now. I don't want you to have more problems on your hands," she says. "Well I am not on thin ice," Oliver says walking past them then punches Jim, as he stands, sending him soaring through the air to the other side of the bathroom. Then he turns and gives Austin a fist pump. "Thanks, man," Austin says. "You are most welcome, brother," he says and walks to Rod who is giggling at him. "That was hot," she whispers.