Heartache

It's almost three in the morning and the waiting room is full, spilling over into the passage. All of Diamond's family and friends are there even Ruby. Austin had introduced Joe to Diamond's parents as Diamond's partner and although they couldn't give a warm welcome they thanked him for trying to protect her and look after her till they arrived. They are glad he is there. It's quiet in the waiting room, no one wants to talk - all worried about Diamond. She has been in surgery for hours. Rod and Oliver had brought Joe, Ophelia, and Austin clean clothing, and Austin had insisted Ophelia get checked out by the doctor and then he took her to a bathroom where they washed the now dry blood away and walked back to the waiting room hand in hand. It's another hour before a doctor pokes his head through the door.  He does not look happy, he looks sad like he is about to deliver news that he wishes he did not have to. Ophelia turns her scared eyes to Austin who is already looking down at her, defeat in his eyes. "Mr and Mrs. Lovit?" he says softly. "That's us," Diamond's father says and stands along with his wife. "Could I speak to you for a moment in this room, please? " he says opening a door to a room Ophelia had not noticed off to the side of the waiting room. It has a glass door and from where Ophelia is standing she can see straight into the room. "Joe?" Diamond's father calls Joe to go with them. They step through the door and Ophelia clings to Austin while they watch the doctor talk gently to Diamond's parents and Joe. Then Ophelia watches as Diamond's mother's legs give way and her father has to hold her up, Joe hangs his head and lets out a long breath. Her mother stands and hugs her father, drawing Joe into a tight hug. "Fuck," Austin whispers and holds Ophelia closer, tighter. The once very quiet room starts erupting with soft sniffling as people around them start finally crying. "No, no she can't have...she can't have," Ophelia looks up at Austin, he blurs as her eyes fill with tears. "shhh, love, shhh.  Let's just give it a moment," he whispers and kisses her forehead, but she can hear the devastation in his voice.

Joe suddenly spins around and opens the door popping his head out. "She is alive. She made it," he says, his voice thick with relief. Ophelia feels herself heave in a heavy breath as relief floods her body and then her legs give way and Austin has to hold her up. "That stupid cow, she gave me one hell of a fucking fright," he laughs out with a heavy breath. Then Ophelia finds herself laughing and crying along with everyone else who has now started to cheer and celebrate. People she does not know grab her and hug her then move on to hug someone else. The mood in the waiting room has gone from sullen to excited to seconds. The doctor comes in and calms everyone down. "She was in a very bad way, but that's to the CPR she received from some quick thinking was what kept her alive just long enough for us to have a chance to help her. It was touch and go for a while. She has had a long night but she is awake and won't stop talking," he says and everyone cheers and nods. "She needs to rest and I am sorry but you won't be able to see her tonight. She can have visitors from tomorrow. But she is fine," he says. "Come on, baby, let's come home," Austin says. Ophelia is reluctant to go, but she can't stay so she lets Austin lead her out with the rest of the crowd. They get to the car and Austin holds up his finger. "Give me a second, baby," he says then leans over a bush and vomits then stands and looks at her. "Sorry, I had one hell of a scare...two actually. I thought I had lost you tonight and just when I thought we were in the clear...Diamond scares the shit out of me," he says wiping his mouth. Ophelia steps forward but then stops and turns when she hears Joe call their names. He is by the hospital door and waving at them to come back. "She wants to see you guys," he says when they get to him.

"Good, I am going to kill her for scaring me like that," Austin says and walks into the hospital. Diamond's room is quiet and the light is dim, a nurse holds her finger to her mouth making sure they keep quiet as they walk in. Diamond's lying on the bed with her parents sitting quietly next to her. She turns her head and then flashes them a huge grin. Austin chuckles and shakes his head at her. "I can't fucking get rid of you," he says but his voice is laced with affection. Ophelia can tell he loves Diamond very much. "Like a fly to pig shit," she whispers with her smile still bright. "You fucking scared me, Di," he says leaning down and kissing her forehead. "It's not my fault you can't drive, heard you punched that asshole and broke his jaw," she whispers. "He deserved it. Fucking idiot," he mumbles. "I agree. Thank you, Austin," Diamonds father says. "You have always looked after our girl," her mother adds. "Are you insane? It is me who has been looking after him. But now he has Ophelia...come here love," she says, her voice turning soft. Ophelia steps forward and takes her hand. "You ok? You had a pretty nasty experience," Diamond says. Ophelia lets out a little laugh and wipes her tears. "You are the one in the hospital bed," she whispers. "This is nothing, just another Friday night - go big or go home, right?" Diamond says. "I am so glad you are ok. You are one of my forevers - I can't have anything happen to you," Ophelia whispers. "Don't you worry, I'll be around long after Austin fucks off," she says and winks at her. Ophelia looks at Joe and he shrugs, "Sorry,  I can't keep a secret from her," he says. "It's ok," Ophelia says then gives Diamond a soft hug, careful not to hurt her. "So you to have been fuuuu-nning it up," Austin says his eyes darting to Diamond's parents. Diamond laughs and nods. "Soooo much fun, fun in the morning fun in the evening, and even had a little fun with Bigfoot," Diamond says. Ophelia and Austin both grimace. "Animals," Austin says and Ophelia finds herself nodding. "Ok, Diamond,  I am just going to change your bag here," the nurse says. "There better be alcohol in that bag or my body will reject it," Diamond says. "No but there are lots of drugs in here," the nurse says. "Oh well in that case I'll take two please, one in each arm," she says. "Come on, baby," Austin whispers and takes Ophelia's arm, leading her quietly out to the car. The drive home is quiet, they both got quiet from the scare today and need to sit with the shit swirling around in their heads. At home, Ophelia follows Austin quietly up the stairs and then they peel off their clothes and climb into bed. Austin pulls her close and she plasters herself to his side, head on his chest. They lie like that till the dawn breaks and the morning sun filters into the room. "The thought of losing you filled me with so much terror, baby.  The last time I was so scared like that was when Red's heart monitor flat-lined. When the time comes, I am going to need you to be the one to walk away because I don't know if I have the strength to," he whispers eventually. Ophelia sniffles into his chest and gives him a little nod then she lets her eyes close as she drifts off to sleep.