17

When Mono and Seven exited the door acting as a portal, they were thrown out of a television and onto the ground, both tumbling with glass showering over them. It was a good thing that none of the glass actually left a mark on them, as they wouldn't have anything to fix the wounds up, leaving there to be a good chance for infection. Infection could easily lead to death in this world.

Mono was the first to look around in a frantic manner, hoping that he didn't teleport them somewhere dangerous. Then he saw that they were surrounded by trees, and his stomach dropped. Did he take them back to where The Hunter was in the wilderness?

No, this wasn't that wasteland. The air was a lot cleaner and didn't smell of rotting things or slimy swamps. He couldn't hear the constant sound of buzzing flies, excitedly feasting on corpses The Hunter left behind. No traps laid around, such as suspicious piles of leaves or nets. It seemed a lot more alive here as well. Although he couldn't hear flies, he could hear the distant sound of birds chirping and the trees rustling in the soft wind. The sun was also peeking through the tree canopy, making the place much brighter, a stark contrast to the usual gray and gloomy tone.

All in all, this place was a lot different than any other place that Mono has been to before. It was a lot warmer, more inviting. Perhaps his powers did help him for once, or it was another sign he was getting the hang of using it.

Seven was in awe with the place as well, knowing that this is the type of place he day dreamed about on the Maw. He thought he found that place when he was in the wilderness, but now he could tell that this was a whole lot better.

That didn't mean it couldn't be dangerous, which is why Seven stood up and helped Mono. He could tell that the other boy was exhausted far beyond his limit. Seven didn't know what all Mono had to go through to save him, but he was extremely grateful. He doesn't want to know what would have happened to him if he stayed in the tower forever with the Thin Man. How did Mono beat the Thin Man anyways? That seemed like something he should ask Mono when they knew for sure they were safe.

When Mono was completely on his feet, swiping all the glass off of him, he looked around more. "Maybe we should explore this place, get a good feel for it. I don't want any surprises." Seven silently nodded his head, like he usually does, and they began to creep around.

Although both of the young boys were exhausted, they wouldn't be able to rest if they didn't know they weren't in danger. This was the main reason why they didn't rest for the last couple of days, running nonstop from the countless dangers that followed their every step. The Pale City was not a good place to be, they knew that, and they're glad to be away now. They could only pray that this place wouldn't hold those same dangers, or even something worse.

The forest they were in didn't seem to have any sign of humans living there except for the television the two boys popped out of. It almost seemed to be completely undisturbed, save for the other forms of life here, such as animals and plants. It was peaceful really. The wind was barely strong enough to push the multi-colored leaves over head, the sound as soft as the breeze. The birds never stopped singing, and Mono and Seven could spot them flying from tree to tree every once in a while. There was also the sound of bugs, such as saccades and other loud insects, all chirping and buzzing carefree.

Mono and Seven had been walking for a little bit now, and not once had they found anything dangerous, no monster wanting to kill them. It was almost a miracle or even a dream, like this place didn't actually exist. The young kids even found themselves letting their guard down somewhat, allowing themselves to take in the sights more.

Too bad the scenery couldn't satisfy an empty stomach. Mono crumpled over, holding his stomach with his hands as it rattled in agony. He didn't realize how hungry he's gotten, as he hasn't given his needs much attention at all. Seven stopped in his tracks, immediately putting a hand on Mono's shoulder to try and give the poor boy some comfort. Seven knew from a lot of experience how bad the hunger pains felt, and was more surprised that he wasn't going through the same thing.