Chapter 4

CHAPTER IV
Sex Club

───⋅ ⋅───

I know I'm not the smartest bird in the nest, but sometimes I applaud myself for not taking any classes on Friday. Thursday is my new Friday. And because I have no classes on Monday either, I always have an extra long weekend.

Better yet, Thursday is the only class I have with Nellie. Even though her program is in business, she was able to secure news reporting as an elective. Not that I was complaining—I had a friend for the three hour lecture.

"Let's sit in the back today," she begged once we stepped inside the auditorium. It could easily sit two hundred people, and because of the vast size of the room, I didn't like sitting in the back. While the professor did wear a microphone, he also had a thick Australian accent.

Right as I was about to persuade her to sit in the middle instead, my phone vibrated in my hand. I lifted it toward my vision and skimmed the screen while my mouth remained open to speak. But the moment I saw who texted me, I choked on saliva.

With a hoarse cough, I slapped my hand on my chest in hopes that would clear my airway. It didn't.

"Oh my God, are you okay?" She hissed, tugging me away from the doors so I wouldn't be in anyone's way. I sagged against the wall once I managed to stop myself from choking, only to notice Nellie's eyes wide with worry. "What happened? Did Remi message you again?"

"No. No. I blocked his fourth account in the morning." He's going through social media accounts so fast, I'm starting to wonder how many emails are actually his, and which emails he's making up.

A frown marred her lips. "Then what did you see?" She tried to reach for my phone, but I flimsily moved it behind me.

"Mom sent me a naked picture," I lied boldly while Nellie's face paled in horror. Some of my classmates trained their wide gaze toward me, and I fought a grimace before rushing out, "She meant to send it to my dad."

I was dying with embarrassment, but thankfully, she didn't ask for any more details while patting my shoulder comfortingly. "I'm sorry you had to see that, Allie."

Wanting to forget all about this, I pushed myself off the wall while avoiding the attention I've gained. "Yeah, let's... let's sit in the back row." So I don't have to feel people staring at me from behind.

We ended up picking our seats on the far-left corner of the room, thankfully away from prying eyes. I wanted to slap myself in the face repeatedly because—why didn't I just tell Nellie who texted me?

In the corner of my eye, I spotted Nellie taking her laptop out of her bag, distracted with her belongings as she prepared for class. I exhaled shakily before turning on my phone.

Not gonna lie, princess. Wasn't going to text you, but curiosity fucking killed the cat and it'll kill me too. You decided if you're gonna go through that list of yours?

Myles wasn't programmed into my phone—because I didn't have his number—but it was fairly obvious who the message came from. For some reason, I let myself enter an alternate reality where I allowed Nellie to read the message, and I could see everything shattering into pieces. And by everything, I meant my dignity and self-esteem.

Possibly dramatic, but also the truth because my best friend was brutally honest and judgmental. And while I was always safe from her crass words, if she learned who I was talking to—no—if she knew what he was talking about, it would be the end of me. I could hear it now.