Chapter 11

CHAPTER XI
Care About You

───⋅ ⋅───

   Today felt like a chapter in a book that had no ending. It was just endless plot after plot, where the character wouldn't have a break to breathe, even between chapters. Despite Tuesday's already feeling long because of my back-to-back classes, today was different. Because when I got home at six-thirty, I was surprised to see Valerie in the living room. And she wasn't alone.

   The moment I saw Remi sitting on the couch with some of her girlfriends, I stomped back outside and slammed the door. I impulsively strode to campus and decided to plant myself in the library, where I could work on my weekly ethics assignment before handing it in in a few hours.

   Fortunately, I did finish by eight. But as I was packing up to go home, I received a message from Nellie in all caps, saying, That fucking bitch needs to go. REMI is here? Did you know?

   He's still there? I typed back in disbelief. When she confirmed that my ex was still comfortable on the couch I bought with Nellie, I wanted to throw something against the wall. Preferably Nellie and Remi.

   So, I decided on grabbing a sandwich downstairs before heading back to the library. Once I plopped in front of a table isolated from everyone else, I decided on getting ahead of some work. By ten, I wrote two articles to submit to my school's newsletter. I was planning to start a term paper that wasn't due for another two weeks, but I found myself dreading the idea.

   I was halfway through a long yawn when my phone vibrated on the table. I saw Myles calling me, so I answered and pressed the phone to my ear.

   "Hey," I said, still yawning.

   He didn't say anything right away. "You awake, princess?"

   Finally, my mouth closed, but I still tipped my lips into a smile before drawling, "Why? This a bootie call, batman?"

   "As much as you'd like that; no. It's not a bootie call," he stated soberly, but when he spoke a few seconds later, I swear I could hear him sounding mildly worried. "Did I wake you up?"

   "No, no. I'm at the library, but I'm trying to fight off sleep."

   "Why are you at the library so late?"

   "I had to finish an assignment and send some articles, and—oh! You wouldn't believe what Valerie did." I paused, but when he stayed silent, waiting for me to continue, I deadpanned, "She invited Remi over. I don't know what to do, Myles. Do I kill her? It's really tempting. And I think I know how to get away with murder. Just because I like Disney doesn't mean I don't watch other things. I'm pretty sure I can recruit Nellie, too. She listens to those podcasts—"

   "Did they say anything to you?" He asked angrily, but he didn't sound angry at me.

   I frowned, focusing my gaze on my laptop. "No. I just left."

   "Jesus fuck." His exasperation made me smile to myself. "Has your roommate still been bothering you since the party?"

   The party was five days ago. Myles knew that Valerie purposely wanted to hurt me by inviting Remi over that day, but he didn't know that since then, she's been pushing him onto her feed. Blasting them going out together on her stories, posts. You name it.

   But I didn't want to mention that to Myles, because I had a feeling he wouldn't be as quiet as me.

   We were in the middle of March. Exam season was coming up. I could suck up her attitude for a little while longer. If she wanted to be petty, I'd let her try to bother me. It wasn't working. If anything, I simply felt disgust that she was trying to egg me on—and Remi was letting her do it. As if they were the victims, and I needed to be punished.