Chapter 7

CHAPTER VII
Asking For Help

───⋅ ⋅───

   I watched the scene in front of me with dread. It wasn't until Nellie screamed I was able to slowly come back to reality.

   "What the fuck!" She screeched in fury but didn't move a muscle, probably frightened he would shoot if she moved.

   Shakily, I twisted my head to see Myles looking at Nellie stonily. Almost if he was having an out of body experience.

   "That's Nellie. You... you met her at the bar, remember?"

   He didn't make an effort to move, so I hesitantly brought my hand on his wrist and sighed in relief when I felt his muscles relaxing. When he jerked the gun to his lap and turned on the safety, I dumbly whispered, "You have a gun?"

   More rigid than ever, he yanked my touch off him before throwing himself off the bed. My mouth fell in surprise when he grabbed his belongings and stomped toward the exit—which Nellie jumped away from.

   The house was eerily silent until the door slammed closed seconds later, making us both flinch.

   I pinched my eyes shut, just as Nellie hissed, "What the hell was that about, Allie?"

───⋅ ⋅───

   The library was so quiet that as I shuffled my way to the exit, anyone could hear the faintest creek of the panelled floors. Every sound made me cringe, knowing that it would bring unwanted attention.

   Granted, I was one of the last few people in the library, with it being eleven at night. The library closes at midnight, and most people left hours ago. Unfortunately for me, I had articles to submit for the school's newspaper, and a term paper to write.

   Ever since finishing class at six, I'd been working. While I am happy I got most of my work done, I was ravenous. But that could be because I decided to starve myself until I finished. It would be like a reward.

   The thought of class reminded me of Nellie's cold shoulder. We both took a news reporting class from twelve-to-three, and normally our walk to campus never had a quiet moment. But after what happened with Myles Tuesday night, she's been avoiding me. After admitting that I didn't know he had a gun, Nellie went from frightened to disappointed mom mode.

   "You've talked to this guy for a month, Althea. How could you not know he owns a gun. Hell, he not only owns it, he carries it on him! He brought it to our house!"

   She was upset, and she had every right to be.

   And... I was upset, too. If I had to admit it, I had been scared for a fleeting minute. Scared of him or for him, I didn't know.

   I haven't spoken to him since then, nor has he tried to contact me and try to explain his reasoning. One for carrying a gun, and two, that his first instinct was to pull it out when he heard a noise.

   This experience should finalize how much Myles is not my type. We're complete opposites. Not only in personality, but now that he has a gun, while I hate the idea of them.

   Remembering why I hate them made my thoughts darken, but thankfully, my stomach growled and reminded me that I was hungry.

   The moment I strode outside, I shivered when a blast of cold wind crushed into me. I hastily zipped my thin jacket all the way to my neck and stuffed my hands into my pockets before waddling across the street. Even though I welcomed the chill most days, I hated how much that changed when my ears weren't covered. Even with long hair, it failed to protect me from the frigid air.