Chapter 18

CHAPTER XVIII
Oh Brother

───⋅ ⋅───

Maybe he forgot what he saw?

That's not even possible, Thea. You told him what you saw that night. He would have connected the dots. He would have realized that he witnessed Remi cheating, too.

Maybe he didn't want to tell me because he felt uncomfortable?

Then why didn't he tell you when you guys got closer?

The longer I couldn't answer my questions, the more anxiety I felt. The more questions blossomed in my head.

Since when does he do cardio? He never goes on walks. Did he take his motorcycle? Then why would he stop there? Did he see me that night? Before the bar? He couldn't have because he would have told me. Right? Right?

I tried not to let Valerie get to me. She could have been talking about anyone. Why would I believe a word that comes out of her mouth, when she's known for causing drama?

That's what I told myself when I met with Myles at the bar later that day, trying my best to act natural. But when the weekend arrived, once again, Valerie's words continued to ring in my head.

He saw us. He saw us.

Did he see me seeing them? Why was he there?

When Monday came, I firmly believed I was becoming crazy. Maybe it was the inner journalist in me, but I just wanted to grab Myles and demand all the answers to the questions I've asked him. And then some.

But alas, I'm a coward.

Fortunately, Lillian called me in the morning, asking that I come to her office to chat and meet up before my interview. She wanted to have her own personal, one-on-one conversation with me and what I saw in my future. Her request was a distraction I was grateful for. Now, I could stress about seeing my mother's best friend and my ex-boyfriend's mom.

Wanting to appear business casual, I dressed in my grey, slim fit slacks and a white bodysuit with a crew neck. Knowing Lillian wouldn't scold me on my foot attire, I picked out white sneakers I've worn a handful of times. Looking in the mirror, I sighed in relief when I saw the top of my head was tame. While there was some frizz here and there, my wavy brown hair wasn't too out of control. I played with the dead ends and exhaled defeatedly. Definitely should cut my hair before next week's interview.

With one last spray of perfume, I headed out of the house after waving goodbye to Nellie—who was sitting on the couch, laptop in front of her. She was working at home today for her internship, but they called her in for a meeting ten minutes ago.

She acknowledged me with a quick glance and a flop of her head before bringing her attention back to her boss. I noticed her expression sour at something he said before she smoothed the lines and smiled professionally.

Sending a nervous glance her way, I treaded outside and carefully closed the door behind me. Seeing as the weather was consistent as a late-spring temperature, I didn't bring a jacket with me. But as I walked to the bus stop—which happened to be on campus—I shivered from nerves when I glanced at the tattoo shop.

Before I had a chance to stop myself, my body jumped into action; it rotated and strode across the street before my mind had a chance to realize what I'd done. My first instinct was to avoid confrontation and continue heading to the bus, but I knew that I wouldn't forget this topic—at least, internally.