Chapter 10

CHAPTER X
A Threat or Motivation?

───⋅ ⋅───

   "People are going to start coming in thirty minutes," Nellie called out while I was applying my winged liner.

   My hand twitched, ruining the straight line I was attempting to do. "Dammit."

   After I wiped off my mistake, I tried again. Nellie, who must have thought I didn't hear her, stopped by my doorway. She thankfully didn't say anything until I finally finished lining my other eye.

   "Did you hear me?" She frowned as I turned away from the mirror. It sat next to my nightstand, standing diagonally against the corner of my room. Since I was too lazy to bring my chair, I'd been sitting in front of the mirror, my makeup sprinkled all over the laminate floors.

   "People are coming in thirty minutes," I repeated, nodding my head once. "Are you ready?"

   She didn't have to reply; I could tell she was. Nellie was dressed in a short, navy satin slip dress that complimented her tan skin perfectly. Her makeup accentuated her cheekbones and turned her hooded eyes sultry, while her blonde hair was slicked straight.

   To finish off her entire look, she wore a gold sash that said, Birthday Girl.

   "I think the real question is, are you ready?" She emphasized her question by lowering her gaze to my clothes before smirking.

   I waved her words aside. "I'll be ready in five minutes. My makeup is done, I just need to figure out what to wear."

   "Well that depends," she leaned against the door frame and popped a hip, "Are you inviting your sex friend?"

   Her eyes gleamed with excitement while I fought a grimace. It's been over a week since Myles and I slept together, and since then, Nellie's been badgering me about meeting the man who made me come. Unfortunately, I didn't need to tell her how the night ended. She heard me.

   I wanted to bury myself alive.

   Planting my hands on the ground, I slowly lifted myself onto my feet. "No. Why would I?" I scooped the makeup I left on the floor before adding, "It's your birthday, anyway. He doesn't need to be here."

   Nellie didn't say anything right away, so I used the time to bring all my stuff back into the bathroom. She followed me inside and watched as I shoved everything into my makeup bags—both of which were sitting on the counter, splayed out.

   "You should invite him."

   Her recommendation made me peer in her direction with pursed lips. I finished zipping the bags before twisting my body toward her. "Why?"

   For the first time since she entered my room, her face contorted into a grimace. She opened her mouth, her bottom lip wavering slightly before admitting, "Valerie is inviting Remi."

   Everything froze after that. She is doing what?

   Seeing my disbelief, Nellie straightened and pushed some hair behind her ear before clenching out, "I heard them on the phone this morning. Nellie was confirming when he'd come over."

   "Why..." I choked on my words, and my hands curled into fists to stop my impending fury from stomping into Valerie's room to tell her off. "Why would she do that?"

   "Why does Valerie do anything?" She spat and crossed her arms again. "This is the same girl who slept with your boyfriend. She probably wants to get a rise out of you."