Chapter 20

CHAPTER XX
Stubborn

───⋅ ⋅───

MYLES

The wind blew her chocolate brown hair, and I rooted in my spot. The sight of her took my breath away, but I couldn't pull my eyes off her—or her freshly cut hair. Even though she probably chopped an inch or two, there were shorter lengthens that surrounded her perfectly heart-shaped face.

Althea Carras looked like someone painted her with the richest colours. Golden skin lighter than mine, but flawless. The sun made her come alive. Her smooth hair shining brighter. Her honey eyes gleaming.

She loved the moon, but the sun loved her.

The first thing I noticed was her smile, then her eyes. When she smiled, she did it with her full mouth, and I remember thinking how the fuck did someone's mouth stretch so goddamn wide?

Then she stared at me with those Bambi eyes, and I had to physically shake away my bewilderment. Since then, I noticed the little things about her. How her eyes shined when she spoke—it glowed brighter when she rambled about something stupid, but I listened to whatever came out of her mouth. She managed to make anything sound interesting, even her damn movies.

How she hummed when she coloured. How she had to touch something when she was nervous or uncomfortable. Her hair, or her clothes. How she always smiled until no one was looking, but she always smiled when she coloured in that plant book. How she always poured shredded cheese over her mac and cheese every time the food was in its bowl. How she nibbled on her lower lip between each question.

I miss her.

The realization made me hold the bouquet tighter while my eyes travelled over her. She looked so fucking ravishing I had to physically withhold myself from getting closer to her. Even though her black skirt was straight, ending by her knees, it hugged her curves. And her white blouse was up to her collar, tucked into the skirt. She had heels on.

She dressed like those stuck-up business fuckers. I never gave those people another look, but I couldn't stop watching her. I fixated on every step she took, and the snippet of her smooth legs. I realized not too long ago that Althea could wear anything and stop me from breathing.

At first, the thought of giving anyone control over me pissed me the fuck off. But each time I looked at her, the more I didn't mind being under her control.

But she didn't realize. And she wouldn't let me.

Her big eyes found mine from the bottom of the stairs, and it took everything in me not to approach her. I instinctively wanted to touch her hair, tuck away the strands that were already clipped back.

"What are you doing here?" Her voice was hard, and I forced myself not to show how much her attitude was affecting me. "I told you we're done."

She was so fucking beautiful, even when she hated me.

Instead of responding to her stupid claim, I lifted my hands, so her eyes would fall to what I held. My mouth faintly rose when she glanced down and froze.

I made her a bouquet with markers and pencil crayons. It took fucking hours. Too many stops at the craft store, and taunts from Spike, but I made it. The only encouragement I needed to finish was the woman in front of me. And seeing her eyes widen made all the agitation worth it.

After a few moments, I pushed my chest out when she started walking down the rest of the stairs. She didn't glance in my direction, but I hoped when she stopped in front of me, she'd give me those Bambi eyes.