Farewell ~ 23

You were in your room, researching everything to figure out who Rem chose as the new Kira. Finally, you found some useful information. 'Hm.. all of the victims of Kira were prominent Japanese businessmen, CEOs who's companies  are leaders in their respective industries. In just over a month they all died of heart attacks. Coincidence? No. As expected, there's been a general downturn in the market, with the exception of Yotsuba. There's no doubt about it. Kira works for or is in association with Yotsuba. I assume it's the former, since there would be no reason to help some random company.' You conclude.

Suddenly, you hear a sound. You turn around to see Rem standing in your room. "Hello, human." She says. You smile. "Ah, hello Rem. Don't be mistaken, I'm not human." You say. "I apologize." Rem mutters. "I figured you'd like to know who this new Kira is. By the looks of it, though, I think you already have it figured out, don't you?" She looks towards your laptop. "Yes, I don't have a specific name, but I have a general idea. I understand you don't like me all too much, but don't you share some respect towards a fellow goddess?" You snark. "I suppose I do. That's why I'd like to let you know that Kyosuke Higuchi of Yotsuba is Kira. I would also like to tell you that I will be allowing Misa to see me, and I will show her who Kira is as well." Rem says, and your eyes widen. "You're showing Misa? You do realize when Light and Misa get their memories back, Misa will sacrifice half of her life again? And, they will make you kill L, causing you to die. You'd really give all that up just for some human?" You question, tilting your head. "Yes, I will. I love Misa. I will do anything for her." Rem speaks monotonously. You sigh. "I suppose I shouldn't care. Farewell, I hope to see you survive this." You watch her leave, and then leave the room, going to where Light and L are currently working.

"How's everything doing?" You ask, seeing that Light is focused on his screen. "I think I figured out who Kira is." You say, smiling. You notice Ryuzaki widens his eyes, turning around. "Really? We think we've figured out where he works." He says. "Yotsuba?" You tilt your head. Ryuzaki nods. "Wow, Y/n. You'd be a great detective." Light says, joining the conversation. "Don't flatter me." You say.
———————————————————————
You, L, Light, Aizawa, and Matsuda were together. Suddenly Mr. Yagami and Mogi walked in. "Hey, Chief! Oh, you too, Mogi! I've got some great news. This is amazing! I'm not even sure how they figured it out, but Light and Y/n have a theory that Kira is somehow involved with the Yotsuba Group. Can you believe it?" Matsuda exclaims. "Yotsuba?" Mr. Yagami asks, seriously. "Uh.. yes." Matsuda stutters. Mr. Yagami puts a hand on Matsudas shoulder. "That's probably it. Good work.."

"We just spoke with the director and it seems Kira has offered bribes to a number of politicians." Mr. Yagami looks down. "So, that's that. The police caved into him." Mr Yagami says. Light gasps, getting up from his chair. You were unfazed, you were sort of expecting this anyway. "Mogi and I have already made up our minds on this. Aizawa, Matsuda... if you wish to continue working this case, you'll have to hand in your letter of resignation to the NPA, just as Mogi and I are going to do." Mr. Yagami says, and Matsuda and Aizawa gasp. "Like it or not, you cannot pursue Kira as a member of the police force anymore."

"Wha.. hold— hold on a second, Chief." Aizawa stutters. "They made it quite clear. If you continue to work with L, you will be fired. That's all there is to it." Mr. Yagami assures. "So then, Chief, you're gonna..." Matsuda utters. "In a few hours, I'm no longer going to be your chief. However, we all have our own lives. So, think it over carefully." Mr. Yagami says solemnly. "That's true, Chief. Especially if you've for family to support." Matsuda says. "If you want my opinion, you'd be better off as police officers. I was alone when I started this case. And although I'm grateful to all of you for staying with me as long as you have, I know that I can do this by myself. I'll be sure to visit you at the department and bring you Kiras head as a reward for all that you've sacrificed." Ryuzaki finishes. "Ryuzaki! As long as I'm alive, you won't be working alone. You have my word on that!" Light shouts, holding a fist up. "I have no reason to leave as well." You join. "I was never in the police force anyway, so If you don't mind I'll stay." You say monotonously.

"Hm, that's right. I'll have Light and Y/n working with me until I catch Kira, so I won't be alone after all. But as I said, I think the rest of you should remain as police officers." Ryuzaki says. "But when you first contacted us, you said that you'd need the help of the police in order to solve this case." Mr Yagami shouts. "That's because the police as an organization, were still hoping to arrest Kira. They weren't bowing to him. Besides, with all due respect, there's a big difference between the help of two or three civilians and the police as an organization. Mm. And as you said, the police have made their position clear. They don't wanna catch Kira so let's just leave it at that." Ryuzaki says, eating a cherry. Mr. Yagami sighs. "Well, I suppose what you're saying makes sense. If we're not police officers anymore, we won't be of much use to you. However, we're all personally involved in this. All of us have risked our lives to catch Kira. Doesn't that give us the right to decide whether we stay here or retrenched to the police force?" Mr. Yagami holds his ground. Ryuzaki hums, pulling a tied cherry stem from his mouth. "Hm. Good point. Then by all means, please, make your decision." Ryuzaki says.

Aizawa grunts. "But Chief, wait. If you quit your job with the police force, you'll be unemployed. Even if we do catch Kira, what are you gonna do after that?" Aizawa asks. "After that? I hadn't really thought of it, but I suppose after we catch Kira... I'll have to dust off my resume." Mr. Yagami smiles. "Count me in! I'm gonna quit the police and chase Kira too, Chief! And I still have my job as Misa-Misas manager! Besides, if I stayed on as a police officer, I'd feel
like a total loser—" Matsuda gets cut off by Mr. Yagami. "Think before you open your mouth, Matsuda." Mr Yagami says solemnly. "Oh.." Matsuda hums, turning around to look at Aizawa. "Is there any way I could still keep my job and help you in my spare time?" Aizawa grunts, turning around. Ryuzaki sighs. "There isn't. If you remain as a police officer, then please, don't come back here." He says.

"But you know I won't leak any information!" Aizawa gets cut off. "I won't be sharing any of our information. You are free to pursue Kira on your own, if you want to. But I don't think it's fair to your families to burden them by giving up your livelihood just to continue this... I can't see how that's a good idea." Ryuzaki says. "It's as Ryuzaki says, no one here is gonna blame you for quitting." Mr. Yagami says hoarsely. "Yeah. Right. We all understand why you gotta do this." Matsuda smiles. Aizawa grunts. "But the Chief has a family, too." He strains. Mr. Yagami walks up next to him. "Our situations are completely different." Mr. Yagami reassures. Aizawa sighs. "To leave now after all we have been through. I said I was prepared to die if that's what it took to catch him and I meant it. What kind of friend would I be to Ukita if I quit now? I became a detective so I could catch the bad guys, not run away!" Aizawa shouts, tearing up. You look at him with pity. No one should have to go through this, no matter what.

Suddenly, the computer screen lights up, a signature W appearing. "Ryuzaki. Early on in the investigation, you specifically told me that if a task force member were to lose their job, under any circumstances, I should make preparations to ensure that their family's financial future was secured. If you recall, a trust was set aside for that very purpose. I'm a little curious as to why you're withholding this information?" Watari says. Aizawa gasps. "This is not the time or place Watari." Ryuzaki says. "I'm sorry." Watari mutters. "No way! So, all this time we had nothing to worry about? I can't believe you did that! There you go, Aizawa. Isn't that great news?" Matsuda exclaims. Turning around, his smile fading when seeing Aizawas face. "Ryuzaki, I assume that was some kind of test to determine how committed I was to this task force." Aizawa says, angrily. "I-it's not like that, Aizawa. Ryuzakis just not the type to say things directly, you should know that by now." Mr. Yagami stutters. "Yeah, that's right." Matsuda says. "No." The task force gasps, turning around. "I was testing you. I wanted to see which one you would choose." Matsuda gasps. "Ryuzaki.." Mr. Yagami says.

Aizawa breath shudders. "Fine then! If I wasn't sure before, I am now!" Aizawa shouts. "But Aizawa!" Matsuda exclaims. "Let's face it. I wasn't able to decide right away, like you guys. I was leaning towards going back to the police." Aizawa closes his eyes. "Come on, Aizawa. Don't be so stubborn." Matsuda gets cut off. "No, I quit! Now I know this for sure! I've always hated Ryuzaki! I hate him and his way of doing things!" Aizawa starts to walk away. "That's too bad, because I like you, Aizawa." Ryuzaki taunts. Aizawa stops. "I also hate the way you've always gotta have the last word! You insult me and now you say something like that? That's it! I'm outta here." Aizawa walks to the elevator. "Thank you for everything." The door closes.

"Ryuzaki, you're such an asshole." You roll your eyes.