Chapter One

I am on the edge of my parent's bedroom while dad reads my scholarship letter on my phone. The loud vibrations from the generator on the balcony are the only noise that fills the room.

The bed foam subdues beneath mom and my anticipating bodies.

What would my dad say? Would he think that the scholarship amount is too small?

Dad came home stressed out, and his blue shirt's underarms with a darker shade. We waited for him to have his bath and dinner before presenting the news to him.

"Hm," He nods to himself, then hands me my phone back.

"So, this is the school your mother spent 125 Canadian dollars for?"

"Yes. That is the scholarship amount I got to reduce the tuition fees."

"Only 10% off?"

What does everyone expect? I tried to make a good scholarship application, and that is all I received.

"That is it," I agree.

"And how do you expect me to get the rest of the money?"

"We can get a loan." My mom's leg starts to flap with no control.

"You have lost it." He points an accusing finger at my mom, and I sigh.

Here we go again.

"I don't know what you are saying. You did not pay the 120 CAD, so please don't talk to me like that," My mom gets up.

I knew a fight would be inevitable, but we needed to let him know at some point.

"Oya. If you wish to be ambitious like your mother, go ahead."

"Don't blame me. I don't want our daughter to suffer the limitation we have seen throughout our marriage," Mom turns to me. "Joy, let us go."

"Don't mind your mother. It might not be God's plan for you to travel. If it is, He will provide for it to happen. Stanley is not obligated to sponsor you at the university. He is doing that only for Osas and your secondary school education. Stanley has children too."

That is true. Uncle Stanley has used his connections with my school's owner to enroll me there for free. It is in exchange for dad's inheritance of a small piece of land they share in the village. It is one of dad's most significant investments in our lives so far.

"God only helps those who help themselves," Mom shuts the door. We both leave him in the room, with the walls shuttering at the impact the hit had on them.

"Since you have the money, why don't you pay her tuition and living fees? Rubbish." Dad's voice was audible enough for the tenants beneath us to hear.

I swallow the spit built in my throat. I cannot believe my parents' arguments came with us into 2022.

"But isn't your boss stealing government money? Why don't you ask her?"

"This woman!" His door slides open as we enter the living room.

"Your mouth will get you in trouble one day. Do you think she will help my daughter when I have earned pennies for the past five years?"

"Does she not have a son? You told me that Brian plans to study in Canada, like Joy. Please do not take this opportunity for granted. People like us that have not made it here are leaving this country for a better one. But your case is different. Is it because you still have food on your table?"

With my dad's back facing me, I smile. That was a good one.

"My dear, do not listen to your mother," He looks at me. I nod in response.

"You will attend the same university in Benin as your brother, Osas. It is not like Nigerian universities are bad or anything. Nigeria's problems will not last long, I tell you."

I don't know how, but some words find their way out of my lips.

"Yes, dad."

They stop arguing, and I enter the dining room to shut the windows. The light bulbs from Faith's apartment turn dim almost at once.

Osas would have known what to say while they were fighting. He would usually have two things to say. It would either be "fighting would not solve you anything," or "you guys will make Joy cry-oo." Either way, one or both would start laughing after.

Now that he is in the university, all I did was watch.

Please vote, comment, and share. I would appreciate constructive criticism. Thanks for reading.