Chapter Thirteen

For the past week, my family has had Eba and soup as dinner. Eba consists of solid garri, which is processed cassava. Thus, many groups want to convince my mom that too much of it could cause constipation.

But since those people are not providing us with other sources of food, then they should keep their facts to themselves.

Back at home, my mind keeps returning to what happened with Dorcas. I still do not know what became of them.

Even if people like Faisal knew, I did not want to stoop that low and ask him about it. Mom still thinks that we talk.

In the kitchen, we are in front of the freezer as my mom shows me how to mix eba properly. Slowly, I let my body fall unto the freezer.

"Yes, what is it?" Mom does not look up from what she is doing.

"Why are boys so wicked?" It was like something invisible got lifted from my chest with this question.

Mom's brows meet each other. "What happened?"

"It is just that they can be so mean, and one is purposely hurting two of my classmate girls," Telling her this made my face heat. I remember when I told Ade to delay giving Dorcas her textbook to see the extent of her crush on him. Yet, I am surprised the same guy I helped play others' feelings made me feel unsafe.

"First of all, let me correct you. It is not just boys. When you travel out of this country, you will see that many people, even women, do not have sense."

"You might be right about that," I hold my breath as I had not said the worst yet.

"But this Ade is a problem. He made two girls fight this time. But what is paining me is how one of them is so clueless and innocent."

Mom dishes the eba into three dishes, and I hold two of them as we approach the soup pot.

"Is the clueless one Dorcas?"

"On point, mom." I drop a full one to pick another plate.

"Chai, I feel for that girl. She probably thinks he likes her." Mom shakes her head.

"That is not true. That guy probably only loves himself and his parents,"

"Ah, bring the plates to the dining let us eat. Also, when did you start defending her, Joy? Were you not the one that was helping that small boy?"

She was right.

"People change, mom. I will only tell you that."

"Okay, oo."

We are sitting at the dining table, and I groan after taking the first bite.

"Um, this Ogbono soup is amazing,"

"Thank you. It tastes better because I cooked it a long time ago." Mom informs me before we remain silent for some moments.

"Those girls will think that is how to win a man's heart. That could negatively affect their future relationships,"

"I guess so," I say.

"They are just childish right now, and their concept of love is a game. You guys must be streetwise and know that only a small portion of high school romance go anywhere,"

"Hm," I am almost through with the dish.

"After watching me, I hope you will turn garri better now."

Laughing, I check my phone screen to see a response to a message I sent some time ago.

Faisal, what is wrong? Are we no longer friends?

We are still friends, but I have to ignore you. Ade plans to expose what we said about Titi's parents. I don't know how Ade got it, but he has our voice recordings. He is making to everyone isolate you because of something that happened between you two.

My mouth widens.

Do not tell anyone, but I am saving both of us.

Wait, how did he get those recordings?
.....

I am called to Brian's house to teach him again that weekend.

Usually, my phone would ring endlessly with messages from my friends during this time of the week, but now, it was empty.

With my shoulders down, I enter the living room to find my mom with her legs crossed.

Her ironed clothes contrast with my rumpled ones. When she laughs at something on her phone, probably chatting with their friends, I fling mine onto the couch, and her eyes follow it till the landing.

"Why did you throw your phone?" She asks me.

I shrug. "It is useless at this point."

My mom does not speak. When she widens her eyes at me, I look for where the phone fell.

When mom drops me at Brian's house, Mrs. Ifeoma goes to get Brian, even though he is a grown man that should know how to take his time seriously.

In the living room, I move next to a large mirror hooked to the walls.

Coming closer, I stare at the bulging vein on my head.

"I am too young to stress myself like this."

Out of the dining room, Akunna appears with a confused look.

I wave at him, and he walks to a couch near me.

"Joy, can I tell you something?"

"What?" I turn away from my reflection and turn to Akunna.

He grins. "I like seeing you around."

I pause. "How do you mean?"

"Well, I just like how this friendship is going," Akunna tells me.

"I did not know this was a friendship. We are still total strangers to each other, you know."

"Well, let us get to know each other." I sit with him.

"Why not? But let us do this quick before Mrs. Joy comes back. First question, are you also seventeen?"

"No, that is Brian. I am eighteen."

A smile forms on my face. "Cool. Ask me now."

"Why do you work here?"

I do not answer for a moment. "It is not like I need the money or anything. I have found myself working here because of somewhat a mutual agreement,"

"Uhm. What do you get from this agreement?"

I sigh. "It's none of your business. Anyway, the next question is, why do you always come here on Saturdays?"

Almost every day I taught Brian, Akunna was here to get Mrs. Ifeoma to scold me or to give Brian an alternative to your maths textbook.

He needs to give me some explanation.

Casein looks around before turning back to me. "Will you keep the secret?"

"Guy, who will I tell? Your mom?" I laugh at the joke, but his face has become hard as stone.

"That is why I try to escape my home each day. It is because of my mom. I hate her so much."

Please vote, comment, and share

Please vote, comment, and share. I would really appreciate constructive criticism. Thanks for reading.