Chapter Twenty-Two

Mom takes me to Brian's house on Wednesday evening.

On their street, mom ignores the crazy driver who maneuvers past her as the tone of her voice gets harsh while she argues with someone on the phone.

"Can you repeat yourself? What do you mean by you cannot find Osas?" Mom is about to park in front of their gate doors when they automatically part way. Mrs. Ifeoma and her son are at the doorstep, and I wave at him.

Brian is chowing on an apple, and he grins before replicating the action when he sees it.

Mom is not aware of what transpired between Brian and me. Since I am not planning on getting a slap from her for provoking Mrs. Ifeoma's son, it is better to pretend nothing happened. For some reason, he is doing the same.

Mom has not parked the car yet but clenches her phone and car wheel.

"Ah! How can you tell me you do not know where he is? In the whole of Benin?"

My heart drops when I hear that line. If only mom did not have an earpiece on, I would be listening to what the other person's saying that's provoking her.

Mom winds down my front door class and speaks with Mrs. Ifeoma.

"Good evening, Mrs. Ifeoma. I might come late today to pick her up. Joy, what are you still doing in the car?"

"I am going." I step out of the car and stand next to Brian. Mrs. Ifeoma signals us to go inside as she sees mom off. We do not speak while I pull off my shoes on the rug at the front door.

When settled, we go right to business.

"Brian, why don't we focus on questions on the volume of shapes?"

He shrugs. "Let's do it."

"Volume of a sphere?"

"I thought I would solve the questions?" His eyes widen.

"Brian," I laugh. "Let us just do something different today."

"Okay." He agrees.

"So, what is the volume of a sphere?"

"Next question, I don't know that one."

"Oh wow. It is four out of three multiplied by pie and radius cubed." I read from my textbook.

"That is not fair. You don't even know the answer yourself." He gets up and sits on the chair next to me.

"Why are you here? I am the teacher, not you." I hold the textbook firmly to my chest.

"You said we are doing something different today, so let me ask you questions too." His hands are open, and I let go of the book.

"Fine."

"Okay. So, what is the volume of a cube?" Brian tries making a serious face.

"It is. Let me check -" I reach for my phone on the table when Brian pushes my hand away.

"Brian!"

"Joy, answer the question. What is the volume of a cube?"

I look around and sigh. "I know, but I don't remember."

"Wow. And you are the one my mom is banking on for help. Well, the answer is length times width times -"

"Height divided by three. I remember now."

Brian shakes his head as he lays the textbook in between us.

"Just teach me how to use the formulas instead." He bends his back.

"That makes sense."

I spend over an hour giving him directions to use formulas with different questions. Things are going fine until someone else joins us.

"How far, Brian?" Akunna loudly intrudes before sitting on the glass dining table in his front. "Let's go to my house."

Brian turns to me, then to him. "Right now?"

"No, tomorrow. Of course, now." He rolls his eyes.

"Don't try to be sarcastic. You sound stupid when you do Akunna." Brian gets up and stretches his body.

"Brian, are you leaving now? We still have work to do." I sigh.

"What? No one is talking to you." Akunna gets up from the table.

"Wait, I am just saying that we are working already. You guys can do what you want afterwards." I try to show them my point of view.

"Instead of dictating for me, why don't you focus on the job you came to do and create questions for him to solve or whatever."

"Okay, you guys should calm down." Brian uses his hands to make a bridge between us.

"Why should I calm down? I am just being honest with him. He should not be putting me down." I let my seat scrap the floor as I get up.

"See, I do not have your time. So, please just shut up, sit down and do your job." He enters the kitchen, and I shout at him from the dining room.

Brian freezes in one spot as he watches me.

"I was teaching Brian when you came and started to insult me. Does that sound sane to you?"

"Are you still speaking from there? Why don't you come here and say it to my face? Scared fool."

Something is wrong.

Brian tries to hold my hand, but I shake my head at him.

"Akunna. Why would you call me a fool? Are you normal?" I point at him.

"Can you see this girl? But Brian, you know what she did was wrong, right?" I turn and see Brian at my side. My body vibrates as I start to see red.

"Look, she was wrong to tell me about your mom, but when would you tell her yourself? And now you are acting this way?" Brian points out the obvious.

"Akunna, I am still a human being. So, you are not better than me just because -"

"Abeg, just get away from my face. You never keep your mouth shut, now Mrs. Ifeoma keeps telling me that my ma is the victim. Joy, you have a loud mouth. A very loud one," He says and hops unto the kitchen counter.

I am about to hit Akunna when Brian wraps one arm tightly around my stomach and drags me to himself.

"You cannot act anyhow to me because you are rich. You just dey open that smelly mouth to insult me like I am some garbage. Mrs. Ifeoma calls the shots for me to be here, not you. So the next time you want to play with your friend, go and ask her first before coming near me. Foolish thing."

"Let's go," Brian leaves the kitchen, and I follow him silently.

When Akunna returns to his house, I try to calm myself.

That was too much.

"Brian, I know what I did was wrong, but he should be more respectful." I lean towards him.

"Yeah. Shh, my mom is coming." He takes a relaxed composure.

After the conflict has subsided, Mrs. Ifeoma passes the dining to enter the kitchen to get a cup of juice.

"Keep on the good work, Joy."

"Thank you, ma."

Please vote, comment, and share

Please vote, comment, and share. I would appreciate constructive criticism. Thanks for reading.