Chapter Six

Today, I will be teaching Brian for the first time. Since I have never had a job before, dad stops me from leaving the apartment to give me some tips while I am with Brian.

"As you go to Mrs. Ifeoma's house, make sure you mind your business and do not commit any stupid act." Dad points his finger at me.

"Let it not be that I did not warn you. Do not start touching items or talk anyhow. And if possible, try to befriend Brian." He finishes the lecture.

"Yes, dad." I know already that I am to act professionally. I am even wearing clean clothes.

Holding the front door, I turn my head back. "See you later."

"Let us go." My mom comes out of the kitchen and moves straight past us.

"I will see you later, my daughter." I wanted to wave back, but mother shut the door behind us.

I want to know why mom is fuming while driving, but I am unsure if she is angry enough to slap me. Sucking my mouth shut, I do not speak until we arrive at Mrs. Ifeoma's house.

She opens the gates with an automatic remote for mom to drive in. Mom and I wait in the living room as she looks for her son.

"Brian is here," Mrs. Ifeoma appears with him moments later.

He motions his hand toward me. "Joy, you can follow me."

Seeing my mom trail behind us, he laughs. "You don't have to worry about anything. She will just be teaching me."

"Young boy, did you hear me say I was afraid of anything? I trust my daughter." She painfully rubs my back.

Mom goes to work later, and Mrs. Ifeoma leaves Brian and me together.

"Joy, how are you?" I feel his gaze rest on me.

"Fine, thank you." Bringing out a thick textbook from my bag, someone enters the room. I see Brian's neighbor from next door.

"Brian, what's up?" The young man pats Brian's back.

"I am alright," He points at me. "Joy is my tutor."

"Hi, my name is Joy," I wave at him.

"Hello, Joy. I think I have seen you before."

I blink back. "Of course. We have met."

"Sorry. I am bad at remembering every face."

"Can we have a short break?" Brian asks me as his neighbor stretches on the dining table.

"Break? We have not even yet started anything," I tell him.

"Joy, I know you only want the best for me. Which is why I need some time with my friend."

Thinking it over, I answer. "Sure. But make sure your mother is okay with it."

Brian brings out his phone and walks away with him. "Do not worry about that. Akunna, let us go."

For ten minutes, I try not to make mistakes while writing down mathematics questions and eavesdropping on their conversation in the living room.

"I think that JAMB will be by April," Akunna says.

"That does not concern me."

"Yeah, because you are going to study Law in Canada," Brian's friend scoffs. "I wish you the best of luck, though. You are even studying what your mother studied."

I fight the urge to call them back. We needed to get back to work, but I was also interested in what they were saying. Although it may be confidential, it was like their voices were battling for air space as I could hear them audibly, like we were in the same room. I will not be surprised if Mrs. Ifeoma appears out of nowhere. But I guess she already knows that Akunna is here. They speak like he visits Brian frequently.

"Akunna, you cannot insult me because I want to study law. You should not focus on another person's house when yours is burning."

"Bro, I was the one who taught you that goal. As for me, we both know it is that stupid woman's fault."

What?

"I do not feel comfortable talking about this." I hear Brian say.

"Yes, you do. But I can easily listen to you lust after Laura, right?"

"I am not lusting over her."

"Okay o."

"She is pretty. That is all."

Their voices lower before an outburst of laughter follows.

I sigh at this. Brian is handsome. So, I should not be surprised if he already has a girl in mind and she feels the same way. Somehow, I still want to take Brian's word for it. She is just pretty, that is all.

"Anyway, how is your new work coming?" Brian asks.

"Oh yes. I have lost interest in it already."

"Already Akunna? But it was so good."

"Brian, the only entertainment your mom allows you to enjoy is your schoolbooks, so of course you do not know good literary work when you see it," Akunna tells him.

"Okay then."

"Akunna!" A loud voice called from up the stairs.

The boys rush back into the dining room, and when Mrs. Ifeoma arrives, she focuses on me.

"Joy, why did you let him in?"

"Ma, I did not know he should not be here." I raise my hands in surrender.

"But you are supposed to be teaching my son."

"It is not her fault, Brian's mom. She was treating me as she would to a guest," The neighbor stares at his feet.

"Let this not happen again, Joy." She focuses on him. "Akunna, get out."

Wondering why Brian has been quiet, I turn to him. His face gleamed with a smile.

"Bye, Joy. I will see you later." He brings his hand out, and I shake it.

When he leaves, I focus on Mrs. Ifeoma. "Ma, Brian told me that you allowed Akunna in."

"But why did you not ask me?" She asks, and I turn to Brian.

Why is she not questioning her son?

"Mom, Akunna wanted to tell me about that thing," They stare at each other intensely, and she sighs.

"Joy, I am not angry with you."

I still do not think I did anything wrong.

"But try not to mix with boys like that. You two should continue with the lesson." She points at his phone. "Do not open the door again, Brian."

"Yes, mom," He nods.

She leaves, and I watch the door until I conclude that no more surprises are coming.

"Okay, we are way behind when it comes to managing time. Let us begin."

"Sure." He responds. "Thanks for the break."

I do not bother to answer him.

Please vote, comment, and share

Please vote, comment, and share. I would really appreciate constructive criticism. Thanks for reading.