Chapter Seven

Brian has been solving ten questions for thirty minutes. His mom is right; he does need help with this subject. That is why I am here.

The session is almost over, and I feel cool air penetrating my skin. Picking up the remote, I switch off the air conditioner.

"Why did you turn it off?" He raises his head.

"I feel cold."

He goes back to work. "Well, I am not."

"Will your generator not rest? Or does NEPA not take away electricity at some point in the day?" I ask him.

"We use an inverter," Brian replies.

"Oh. So, is there only one air conditioner on?" I head back to my notebook.

He giggles. "What are you saying? All the air conditioners are operating, Joy."

"Just for two people?"

Nodding slowly, he grins.

I run through the pages of my textbook until I find some questions on probability. With Brian busy, I let my eyes roam around the room until they land on him.

"You are so tall."

"Thank you?" He raises his left eyebrow.

"How tall?"

"6'4." My mouth opens at his answer.

"Let me guess; your mom forces you to play basketball?"

"No, she banned me from playing that sport."

"Are you serious?" I leave my seat and stand behind Brian when Mrs. Ifeoma comes down the stairs.

"What are you doing?"

Sensing her presence behind me, I gasp. "Wow, Brian, you are doing justice to these exercises."

"Really?" He stares at me in shock, so I move closer to see what he is doing.

"Is it good news I am hearing?" Mrs. Ifeoma appears, and I start to worry.

Not even the simultaneous equations did he get right. And in a few months, he will be leaving secondary school. I do not bother to hide anything but allow his mother to judge things for herself.

"Wow, I did not know that this was that bad," She rubs her temple while going through the notebook.

"I know, but what else can I do?" I walk back to my seat glumly.

"Maybe you can try to help?"

"What?" I ask him.

"Shut up, Brian!" His mother snaps, and his shoulders instantly slum.

I watch in awe.

"Do not worry, Joy. He is a fast learner, right Brian?" She rubs his shoulders, and I watch him squirm.

"Yes, mom."

"Well, your mother is coming in thirty minutes. But let me take a picture before I leave,"

I wanted to say no, but a grin plasters on my face.

"Brian, smile."

At home, I had to take a cool shower before bed.

How would I explain this situation to mom? The boy barely knew anything about mathematics, yet Mrs. Ifeoma hired me to teach Brian so he could get better grades in the subject. Of all people, I.

I hope his mother stops things just in time to get someone that knows the subject, like Dorcas.

Dozing off to sleep, I see myself hugging someone in my dream. The person is wearing our school uniform, but their face is deep over my neck for me to see.

That is when a presence overshadows us. Raising my head, I see Ade watching us with a stony face.

Slowly, I let go of them to see it is Dorcas as she grins innocently in my arms.

When I wake up, the first thing I see is the roof.

What was that?

The next day during church service, I try to approach Brian next to the window, but I find my butt glued to my chair

The preacher discusses the Biblical character Job and how he was longsuffering.

Brian's eyes did not leave his Bible.

I had to look at the denim-covered Bible in my hands to ensure we were reading the same book.

After the service, I walk up to him.

"I see you love reading your Bible."

He looks up, then sighs.

"What scripture are you reading right now?" I stretch my hands out, but he gets up.

"Are you not meant to be with your parents?" He starts to pack.

"I should be asking you the same thing. Church has closed!" I dramatically tell him.

He does not respond but starts to walk away with other teens.

I follow behind until Brian moves to the parking lot, and I move to the main church building's front doors.

"Good afternoon, mom." She is at her usual spot near an air conditioner.

"Did you see Brian during service?"

"Yes, I did, but he was too busy to speak with me."

"Do not speak anyhow. I just saw his mother drive in. So maybe he did not want to keep her waiting."

"I guess you are right."

We enter the church, giving those with brooms space. I watch the people with expectations of God sweep His house in faith.

We were going to the altar again. I will have to repeat last month's prayer requests since none yielded results.

"God, I do not know what to say, but my mom wants me to come here and pray." I pause for a moment and think of what to say.

"Lord, show yourself in our lives so that this year will be unforgettable for us."

Moments later, I put on my shoes, wondering if others praying on the altar felt the same way as I did.

"Joy, let us go before your father gets angry."

"Yes, mom." We hurry past those who swept.

"By the way, what did you pray for?"

Are we doing something wrong?

"Joy. I asked you a question."

"I prayed for the usual," I move ahead of her through the mass of people.

Please vote, comment, and share. I would really appreciate constructive criticism. Thanks for reading.