Chapter Nineteen

Before the weekends, I manage to submit my JAMB form on time. Friday is also the day of our last mock paper; economics. Now, I needed to study for the main examinations.

During lunch on Friday, Dorcas is at the corner of a table with a handful of other girls. As they chat, she slowly shoves the jollof spaghetti into her mouth. I stand at the opposite end of the table from Dorcas when they leave without saying a word to her. She does not remove her eyes from the plate of food, so I let my bag fall loudly on the lunch table.

"Why are you always alone?"

"What? Is it bad to stay by myself?" Her eyes are fiery like she would stand up and throw a punch at me.

"Of course not. I am staying alone but not by choice. You do not talk to anyone. Do you feel superior to everyone because you are so smart?"

Dorcas pats her short and twisted natural hair.

"I know everyone thinks like that because I'm always studying, but trust me, I am not proud."

Folding my arms, Dorcas begins to laugh.

"It's just that no one wants to get to know me." She concludes.

"But what am I doing now?"

She yawns. "You are only here because something happened between you and Ade."

"What did you -"

"That was all the gossip I heard. I am sure you would be with Titi right now and not with me if not for whatever had happened. And for the first time in my life, I wrote a statement apologizing for what Titi and I did so we would not get suspended, and she started it all."

I listen to her with attentive ears. That Ade is a menace.

...

I woke up feeling weary and tired, but I would soon go to teach Brian. When mom drops me at his house, she speeds off quickly. Over the past few days, I could see that mom is not how she used to be.

Maybe that was after dad told me to decline my admission letter. It is like everything that made her hopeful got sapped out of her.

Mrs. Ifeoma takes me to the dining room, and I smile at the empty chairs.

"Wow, I am not even surprised that Brian is here yet," I smile.

While holding my back, she directs me to my usual chair. "Sit down, Joy."

When I obey, she does the same.

"Joy, you have only been here for a month, but I have received some unsettling reports about you."

"Like what, ma?"

My mouth refuses to close while Mrs. Ifeoma tells me what I had told her son.

Mrs. Ifeoma retreats to her home office afterwards, and I am patient for her son to arrive. Brian goes to his seat opposite mine and starts running through the pages of his notebook without bothering to greet me.

"So, has my mom told you yet?" He clears his throat.

"If you knew she would come to me, why snitch?" My face warms up with the thoughts of my parents finding out.

"I am glad she told you herself. My mom needed to know you were aware of this matter." Brian avoids my eyes and continues what he is doing.

"I never knew you were stupid until this day."

His head jerks up. "What did you say?"

"No, help me to understand things. Why would you run your mouth to your mom when I trusted you."

"Isn't that the same way Akunna confided in you?" Brian's face turns a light shade of pink.

Drawing the seat behind me, I leave the dining room. I do not have any room in mind but anything to stop me from saying something I would regret later on.

"And never again in your life will you call me stupid. Never again in your life."

I could not recognize it was coming from him. It is the first time he is raising his voice at me.

"Then why are you shouting?" I stare at the camera on the wall. What if his mother is watching this scene at this moment?

"I do not care, just don't insult me again. You are nobody to do that, so get that in your head."

Thinking of how to respond, I focus on my parents. If we continue, Mrs. Ifeoma would have more to say.

Fumes are gushing from my nostrils, but I sit down. It is stupid to argue with the son of my father's employer.

We stay silent until Brian slams his notebook on the glass table and leaves the room.