Chapter Twenty-One

On Monday, Dorcas and I spend our free period in the computer room. I have not been with Dorcas for this much since the last time she had classmates for friends before the pandemic. So much must have changed since then.

"Have you gotten admission yet?" I draw her attention from her laptop screen.

We are on the furthest row to the computer room door.

"I got two; one in Canada and the other in the UK. Why did you ask?"

"Oh really? Let me guess, University of Toronto." I draw my hands dramatically into the air.

"No. Manitoba."

I remember the application I made to a university in the same province in Canada as her, but check out the thought. They have not yet given me feedback on my application, so my mind is off that.

"So, you have not written your IELTS test?" I continue asking her questions.

"I am writing the exam on the 18th of March. If you're asking for yourself, I heard that even Ade passed his, so you do not have to worry about failing." Dorcas scratches her strained forehead skin.

"Ouch," I respond. "Why don't you just write the IELTS exam on the 16th of March?" Her face holds no emotion after she hears my suggestion.

"But if I do such, I will not have the opportunity to write JAMB. The Joint Admission - "

"Matriculation Board Mock examination." I complete her sentence, which makes her lips curl into a deep frown. "I am just trying to help. All you do is study without having fun."

Dorcas sighs. "Thank you for looking out for me, but I cannot miss any of my exams. If I do – "

"Your parents will skin you alive, right?" I try to finish her sentence.

"Stop interrupting me."

"Sorry." I bit my lower lip.

"And no. If I do not sit for the exam, I will not break our predecessor's current JAMB record." She looks at her computer screen like it holds some answer. "Do you now understand the kind of pressure I am under?"

I shake my head slowly. "No. No, I do not."

Silence comes between us.

"Well, I am going for lunch now." Dorcas turns off her laptop and puts it in her bag.

"Okay. How was yesterday's fast?" Her face brightens at my question.

"Yeah, I lied earlier. I don't do any of that stuff." She waves her hand tiredly in the air.

"So, no fasting?" We both leave the desk and start to walk out the door.

"No. I am even tired of this church thing." Dorcas yawns and adjusts her school tie.

"Me too. I thought I was the only one. It is like my parents have not gotten the hint yet."

Dorcas remains silent for some time before bursting out in laughter. "At this point, I am an atheist for sure." She links our arms together as we walk away for lunch. I try to breathe with my mouth as my nostrils get invaded by a strong smell from her armpits.

...

Easter break is coming, and so is our JAMB mock examination. That evening, I am trying to read a textbook in our apartment in the dining when Mom storms out of my parent's room.

"If we had dogs, I would feed this school results to them. Do you know why?"

I am sure my recent examination results are the cause of this.

The truth is, I already saw this coming. While writing the rest of my school's mock exams, I kept thinking about Ade and the threats he never carried out. If he did, I don't know what would have become of me if I got suspended.

Ade is not the only that has dirt on many people, and he understands I could air his dirty laundry. Yet, I am sure the blame will be on me for notoriously knowing for gossiping a lot.

"Mom, the exam was by the school, not external bodies." I try to make her see what I am saying, but she shakes her head.

"Chai. Why am I even killing myself? You are not ready to become better." Tears fill her eyes as she approaches me with her hand raised.

"Mom!" I raise my hands to shield myself from the pain she would incur on me.

Nothing comes. I open an eye to see her retreating back.

"You are too old for me to be beating you. Maybe I've been wrong. Your dad was right, all you would do is fail abroad, no difference from what you're doing now."

Please vote, comment, and share

Please vote, comment, and share. I would really appreciate constructive criticism. Thanks for reading.