Chapter Ten

Days later, I give Osas a phone call to vent about how our parents have been acting out, but he is unavailable.

His nineteen years of experience with my parents would help at this moment.

Mom does not wish to talk with me, so I head to the dining room, where I see the light from the bulbs in Faith's apartment light bouncing on the wall built around the house with barbwires to secure us.

I can hear every word from their family prayer as Chikaima, who I presume is leading it, prays at the top of his voice.

I become weary of listening to them and leave for my room. Passing dad's empty one, I realize I have not seen him today.

That night, I dream and see myself in school. While standing at the entrance, it looked like the high school building had multiplied in height.

"Everyone, see Joy!" An unfamiliar girl in our uniform notices me and starts to giggle. Wanting to approach her, I am about to ask what is wrong with her when my classmates stream out of the building and begin jeering at me.

"What is your problem? Shut up!" I order them, moving a step further to Ade when I look down at my bare body, fully unclothed.

That night, I twisted and turned until my eyelids gave way. Soaked in sweat, I leave my bed after sitting upright for a moment to use the restroom. Returning, the first thing that hits my mind is the image of me being naked in front of my friends.

I have heard of this kind of dream but never experienced such. The time on my watch says a few minutes to midnight, and tomorrow is Friday, with me having my last class before my final in-school administered examinations. I am about to return to bed when I hear someone clapping their hands and singing. It turned out to be gospel lyrics coming from Faith's apartment.

"Just why? Why?" I ask no one before covering my ears with my pillow.

....

Friday's classes were just a reminder that I have so much to read and little time to cover much ground. I am not the only one that feels the same way, but just like me, they plan to apply previous knowledge and common sense.

The only thing that makes my stomach churn is my dad finding more reasons why I should study in Nigeria near him, the even poorer grades I will deliver.

As prices tend to rise and essential commodities become scarce, I am not sure if we would have enough to live on talk of sending me abroad. We need a miracle because, with every passing day, I find a reason to be discouraged.

The next time I go to Brian's house, both Akunna and he are in his backyard. Brian is trying to dribble Akunna with a basketball as I walk into their match after noticing he is not in the dining room. Mrs. Ifeoma did not bother to check if Brian was there, so I assume she willingly let Akunna into her compound.

When they do not turn to see who just entered the backyard, I scream at Brian. "Guy, it is time to have class."

They turn around, and he shoots it at me.

"Catch."

I do such right before it ruptures my intestines.

"Why? I stare with enlarged eyes. "What if I did not know how to catch properly?"

"Answer Brian," Akunna nudges at him before walking to me with open arms to collect the ball.

The kitchen door leading to where we stand creaks, and someone steps in.

"Joy, what are you doing? Everyone come inside."

What is up with this woman? I turn to the boys, but they jog past me back into the house. I lock the door behind me and find my way to the kitchen.

Mrs. Ifeoma is nowhere to be found when I get to the dining room. At least she would not blame me for letting Akunna in again because he is still in the house.

"So, Joy, which school are you in?" Akunna draws a chair out and sits with us.

"Why do you ask?"

"Well, I just want to know you more."

"Okay," Brian hides his face.

"I attend Hetfield." I cover my mouth to hide the growing smile.

"Hetfield!" Brian stares at me. "You go there?"

"Yes, why are you so shocked."

Akunna laughs. "I think it is because the school is so expensive."

Any form of excitement I was feeling capsizes. "What do you mean by it is expensive?"

"Only students of influential backgrounds usually go there," Brian tells Akunna.

"True."

"Are you insinuating that I cannot pay for it?" I ask them.

Akunna looks at both of us. "I am not."

Brian clears his throat. "Neither am I."

I shake my head. "Well, let's get to work, shall we?"

 "Well, let's get to work, shall we?"

Please vote, comment, and share. I would really appreciate constructive criticism. Thanks for reading.