Chapter 29

Wei Ying glanced at the door.

The soft knock came again.

"Were you expecting anyone?" Lan Zhan asks him.

He doesn't know why he's suddenly so on edge. It might be because he hadn't heard footsteps walking to their door…hadn't expected them, so he hadn't paid attention, and he wasn't sure who it could be.

Plus he was feeling anxious about F4keSt0ries, since there was nothing on that front, either. Lan Zhan kept refreshing the tab and checking if there was an update…but the person simply hadn't responded. He couldn't help thinking it was because of their questions…

Wei Ying shakes his head.

"Let me go, then." Lan Zhan says, standing up.

Wei Ying has already understood, just from the straightening of his shoulders, his stance alert and ready.

One quick nod and Lan Zhan is by the door.

He looks through the peephole to see who it is, and is immensely relieved to see a slight woman standing outside their door.

She's turning around to leave, when he makes the decision to open the door.

"Um…hello." She says, timidly. "Do you know where my son is? Lan JingYi?"

Lan Zhan is nodding and he lets her come inside, reeling because she just told him that JingYi's surname was Lan.

Then…who was his dad?

"Hello!" Wei Ying welcomes her into the living room.

She makes her way over to the single chair matching the sofa, and sits down. Her frame is dwarfed by the couch and she looks even smaller. Her poor posture with her shoulders hunched inwards doesn't help.

She's wearing a plain brown skirt with a floral blouse, and a cardigan which matches neither. There's a fading bruise on her leg, which she tries to hide by crossing her leg over her knee. The action causes her sleeve to ride up, revealing a fresh looking cut.

Now that Lan Zhan is able to look at her properly, he can see one of her eyes is squinting at them, almost as if she's forcing it to remain open.

His hands curl into fists.

His anger is a real thing…because he suddenly knows why JingYi is the way he is. The chances of the person hitting this frail looking lady and her sweet son being the same, is getting more and more likely.

Wei Ying scoots closer and covers Lan Zhan’s fist with his hand. He squeezes it gently, hoping to calm him down.

"What can we do for you, Mrs Lan?" Wei Ying asks her pleasantly, keeping his voice level.

"JingYi…is here?" She asks, tentatively looking around.

"Yes, the boys are in the kitchen, doing their homework." Wei Ying answers her cautiously.

"Oh…that's…that's good." She says, obvious relief settling in her expression. "I meant to thank you…for all the times you picked him up from school. It's very kind of you." She inclines her head to bow.

"It's no chore. JingYi and A-Yuan…you know how close they are…" Wei Ying trails off.

There's so much he wants to ask her and Lan Zhan feels the same way. But how to go about getting answers?

"Actually…I was wondering if I could ask you for another favour." She says softly.

"Sure thing. What can I do for you?" Wei Ying asks her easily.