Chapter 144

From the great greenhouse, they and their guests are taken to the Grand Ballroom.

The Lan ancestors had truly believed in setting an example in the society they lived in, all those years ago, and reflecting that tradition was this masterpiece of a room, technically a hall the size of a small football pitch.

The walls were cream alabaster with gold frames in a check pattern, and the floor gleamed in a beautiful mosaic design depicting orchids and clouds.

"Welcome to your wedding reception!" XiChen announced, leading them past the golden doors.

They are in awe.

Lan Zhan has been here before, but this is Wei Ying's first time entering this amazing place. His mouth is open, silver eyes wide with disbelief as he looks around.

A glittering chandelier hangs from the high ceiling like an artificial sun, droplets of crystals fanning their light across the room, partnered by several smaller chandeliers in all the corners of the hall. XiChen added a disco ball, too.

Up above, held aloft by a shallow net are countless golden balloons ready to be released.

Tables have been set up around the edges of the room, cream tablecloths with gold table runners, crystal vases and a single red rose in each. Crystal plates and gold cutlery are set out for all of their guests, leaving ample room in the centre for dancing, later.

Right now, a huge white cake with red sugar flowers is the centrepiece, standing alone and waiting for them to come and make the first cut.

Their guests cheer as Lan Zhan and Wei Ying are gently nudged forward towards it, and Lan Zhan has to pick up the golden cake knife with the red satin bow. He waits for Wei Ying to put JingYi down first, and when his hand encloses Lan Zhan's bigger one, they cut the cake together.

A louder cheer and congratulations are shouted out; XiChen releases the balloons to distract their guests from watching the grooms feed each other cake pieces.

For Wei Ying's part, he smiles toothily and swallows down his portion, but it's not that simple for Lan Zhan. He dutifully opens his mouth for anyone watching too closely, accepting the paper napkin that Wei Ying hands him, and discreetly removing it from his mouth under pretence of wiping his face.

Boisterous feeding it to A-Yuan and JingYi follows before they are ushered to their seats of honour at the head table.

Wei Ying is still looking around, because there's so much to see!

Uncle Qiren is proudly cutting up the cake, handing little dishes to the wait staff who begin serving it to all their guests; XiChen has returned to MingJue and Mo XuanYu, who are holding Juhua and Meihua still, and he's taking personal pictures on his phone, ignoring the professional photographer and video guys who are doing a stellar job of recording everything that's happening.

A-Yuan and JingYi are too busy playing with the balloons on the floor, until Uncle Qiren finishes his task and leads them both to sit in between Wei Ying and himself at the main table.

The first course is chicken feet and lobster together, a cold appetiser to symbolise the Yin of the Phoenix and Yang of the Dragon. It is the beginning of a ten course meal, rich and spicy for Wei Ying and their guests, while the Lan Clan heartily digs into vegetable steamed buns and a hearty soup.

On this happy occasion, the family of the grooms is well practised by now in taking care of their newest members, and before either groom can say anything, they are regularly updated on the situations regarding their children.

It is late afternoon, when the sunlight lends its strongest rays across the glass wall into the ballroom, before dipping past the horizon.

The lights are dimmed, a single spotlight shines on the disco ball that casts a showering of stars across the ceiling.