Chapter 39

Lan Zhan opened the door, and Officer Todd entered. Behind him, another officer, one who was obviously his senior, followed him in.

Greetings were exchanged, and everyone sat down.

Three people on the couch was a tight fit, and Wei Ying pressed up as close as he could to Lan Zhan just so there would be space between him and Officer Todd.

"We have some more questions for you, if you don't mind answering them today." Officer Todd was a little more cautious today.

Wei Ying's eyes flickered to the other Officer, who was watching them with interest. Maybe Officer Todd had to be more professional today, since he was under observation? Wei Ying thought that was the most likely reason for him being a little cooler towards them.

It went without mentioning that they would not be talking about going to Apartment 613 yesterday; it probably went against all protocols and Wei Ying didn't want to get Officer Todd in any trouble, not when he had been this accommodating so recently.

"I understand the child from Apartment 613 is living here with you, for the moment?" The other Officer asked them. He introduced himself as Officer Ryan.

"Yes. He and our son are best friends." Wei Ying spoke up.

Lan Zhan squeezed his hand. Both of his arms were already wrapped around Wei Ying's waist, and they were chest to back now, facing the officers together.

"Hm. You should be expecting Social services to pay you a visit soon." The senior officer told them.

Wei Ying could only nod slowly.

That was yet another nightmare to face; the legal ramifications of trying to adopt another child and hoping that the powers that be would support them and make it easier. Otherwise, they were going to fight for little JingYi.

Today was the first day Wei Ying had seen him sort of back to normal, and it warmed his heart. Ever since his mother had visited them here, JingYi had been subdued, and far too quiet. Wei Ying had thought the day would never come when he would miss JingYi's voice so much. But the boy had been making good progress in these past few days.

It was yet another reason why he didn't want to tell the little boy that his mother had passed away. He didn't want to keep it a secret, but he wished JingYi was older so he could better cope with the terrible news. Maybe it was just a matter of waiting for the right time.

"Actually, before we start, do you mind if I check on the boys?" Wei Ying said, leaving the safety of Lan Zhan's arms to stand up. "I don't want them to overhear anything...that might upset them."

"Of course. Go ahead." The senior officer said, with approval in his voice.

Wei Ying was back five minutes later, after closing the door to the boys' room.

"Please continue," he told them, making himself comfortable next to Lan Zhan.

He smiled when he felt Lan Zhan kiss his hair. Having Lan Zhan here, like this, felt monumental in terms of support. He could feel the beginning of a headache start behind his eyes, and he refused to pay attention to it. It would go away soon, and everything would be okay.

He could lie down after the policemen went away.

"Can you please tell us what they were like? The couple in Apartment 613?" The senior officer started saying. He looked pointedly at Officer Todd to start taking notes.

"Well, in the beginning, it was just through JingYi. Actually, I don't remember ever going inside their home." Wei Ying was surprised by this. It had never occurred to him that even after picking up JingYi and dropping him off safely back to his home, that Mrs Lan had never invited him inside her apartment.