Chapter 135

CONTENT WARNING: VIOLENCE AND MENTIONS OF SUICIDE (TO THE BAD GUY)

If this bothers you, or presents a problem, please skip until the asterisk line.

***************

Wei Ying's blood runs cold.

This is the same vampire who wants to expose all of them to the human world, to put everyone in danger, he thinks. All of his family, including Lan Zhan.

So Wei Ying takes a deep breath to whistle, and immediately, the vampire clamps a hand over his mouth, grinning wickedly.

"Uh, uh, uh...naughty, naughty. Can't have you controlling me like that, can we?" He leans even closer, whispering in Wei Ying's ear.

Wei Ying feels utterly revolted, having this filth touching him at all, let alone right up in his personal space. He knows he's panicking on the inside and he sharply tells himself to snap out of it.

"You, my sweet little bird of fancy, are quite the valuable asset," Vladimir continues, his greasy voice causing chills to erupt on Wei Ying's clammy skin.

Wei Ying tries to shake his head in denial, but the vice-like grip on his face renders it useless.

"Imagine my surprise to learn that not only can you control the dead, a.k.a. us, but it's your blood that holds the key to walking in the sun?" He laughs again.

It makes Wei Ying's skin crawl. He has to find a way to get a message to Lan Zhan, because this could get really ugly, really fast. He's staring back in the mirror at this vampire, far too close for comfort, looking into his eyes. And then, Wei Ying realises that he has another trick up his sleeve, one that Vladimir doesn't know about.

If he's lucky.

Right now, Vladimir is studying him back, trying to work out what he's thinking. So Wei Ying wills his body to relax. It's a feat in itself, because his instincts are telling him to fight back, to run away, something! But Wei Ying forces his breathing to slow down like Lan Zhan taught him, and he begins to go completely limp.

"Originally, when I saw you fighting those feral creatures, I wondered which way you would swing, given the choice. After all, you're a human," he spits out venomously. "Just a food source for your betters." He grins at the animosity in Wei Ying's eyes, as his anger fights back. "That's right, let's see what you really think," he says triumphantly, as if he's just won something.

Wei Ying reigns in his feelings. He's got to make this work.

He's all alone here, and even if, IF he found a way to call Lan Zhan here, this vampire was ruthless enough to kill him with a single swipe of his sharp talons across Wei Ying's neck.

So no, if anyone was going to save him, it had to be himself.

Wei Ying warns himself not to get riled up so easily, because surely, now that this vermin has realised how to get a rise out of him, he's definitely going to try again. All Wei Ying has to do is keep him talking for his plan to work. Luckily, he's always been able to think on his feet.

"Then I thought, what is that old hag's weakness? The way she was fawning over you, and then when I learned that she was your grandmother? Of course, it all made sense, then. So, all I have to do is take you, and she'll do whatever I say. And in the meantime, I can enjoy a little snack, now and again." He bares his teeth, bringing his mouth ever closer to the pulse point on Wei Ying's neck.

It's now or never!

Wei Ying slams his feelings into the vampire, thoughts of killing himself powers into him, pouring his melancholic sorrow and the uselessness he used to feel when he was younger, magnifying it into his core and projecting outwards towards this vile being. He needs to get inside his mind.