Chapter 37

"LAN ZHAN!" Wei Ying is shouting.

Lan Zhan can only feel pain and intense hunger, and as his canines grow so fast in his mouth, he tries to bite himself on his bottom lip, like before.

Only this time, no blood comes out.

Lan Zhan panics, and he would have moved, left, done something...but Wei Ying tackles him onto the bed.

It's so unexpected, that at first, Lan Zhan doesn't know what to do!

Doesn't Wei Ying know how dangerous this is? For him?

Lan Zhan is seconds away from throwing him off, when the most delicious, tantalising, tempting smell hits his nose, and he groans.

It's Wei Ying.

Somehow, his body has identified Wei Ying as food.

It's such a frightening thought, and then Wei Ying is shoving his wrist under Lan Zhan's nose and shouting at him.

"Drink! Drink, you stupid Fuddy Duddy! I told you! I told you to fucking tell me!"

And when Lan Zhan opens his eyes, all he can see is Wei Ying dashing away at the tears on his face, and he's confused, because why is Wei Ying upset?

And then as he gasps, Wei Ying takes his chance and shoves his finger into Lan Zhan's mouth, scraping it on his extra sharp canine, and cutting it so easily, he doesn't even register the pain, because his only thought is to provide nourishment for Lan Zhan.

Lan Zhan doesn't think; he latches on and sucks, finding immediate relief.

And then, he's disgusted with himself.

How could he do that to his Wei Ying?

As fast as he can, he removes Wei Ying's finger from his mouth, swiping his tongue over the tiny cut before letting go of his hand. Then he picks Wei Ying up from where he's straddling him, and places him carefully to the side before standing up.

His actions were gentle but a direct contrast to the wild storm raging on his insides.

Muscle memory makes him take deep breaths to try and calm himself down, and Lan Zhan squeezes his eyes shut, overcome with that wave of protection he always feels for Wei Ying...but this time, the disappointment in himself follows swiftly behind.

Again, he asks himself, how could he have drunk from him? The person he was supposed to protect? Doesn't he love Wei Ying?

Before he can spiral into these whirlwind thoughts, two warm arms come around his body and he feels the soft but firm weight of Wei Ying's body, hugging him from behind.

"Listen to me."

Wei Ying's voice washes over him like a soft breeze, calming and fluid. Settling.

"I know you're blaming yourself right now, but honestly, there's no need. This doesn't change who we are, just because our relationship is a little bit different. You didn't hurt me...at least, not then." He continues in that soothing voice.

It's meant to calm, to reassure, but Lan Zhan picks out his last words.

"If not then...then when?" He cannot stand the thought of harming this beautiful, generous man.

"I am still hurt because you don't trust me."

Lan Zhan whirls around so fast, clutching Wei Ying's shoulders and looking into pained silver eyes, still brimming with tears. His hair is loose and soft, and all Lan Zhan wants to do is hug him close and bury his nose in it, in Wei Ying's neck.