Chapter 61

Wei Ying's grandmother was looking at him expectantly.

"You should know who he is. His son married your adopted sister. They have a little kid now, Jin Rulan, Jin Ling. But I'm not sure why the family distanced themselves from Jin GuanShan and his son, Jin ZiXuan left the family business."

"Oh. She had a son." Wei Ying is happy for his sister, but he's also feeling sad that he hasn't kept in touch with them. "Madam Yu...it was one of the conditions. I don't know what's happening with any of them."

"Whatever that cow wants, it doesn't have to be that way." Baoshan Sanren tells him. "Why does she get any say in your life? Whatever obligation you felt when you left, it doesn't apply any more. She lost that right when she tried to make you choose between a little baby and her. She's a controlling bitch, and you would do well to remember that."

Wei Ying cannot bring himself to agree with her, but a new hope grows inside his chest at the thought of talking to his sister again.

Lan Zhan reaches over to hold his hand.

"We can try," he says.

Wei Ying nods, blinking back tears.

Right now, he has a job to do. As he sorts through the papers, something else occurs to him.

"Grandmother, how much do you know about the Wen operation?"

"What do you want to know?" She asks, a calculating gleam in her eyes.

"Everything." Wei Ying shoots back, this time sounding more confident.

"They are our old enemies, if my theory is right about Wen Mao and your grandfather. At that time, he was the only one strong enough to fight him, and from what I found of his remains, I think he was ambushed, either in the cave or just outside and the fight continued inside it.

"But if you're talking about the current updated version, then it's Wen Rouhan who is the pack leader. Out of his two sons, Wen Chao is the younger one and his elder brother is Wen Xu. Both are Pure Bloods, different mothers. Wen Rouhan got a little bit too excited, shall we say? And ended up killing both of his wives.

"Xue Yang was on the run from China, and we managed to trace him to the U.S., but then his trail went cold. He hasn't been seen since, so no idea where he is now. We can speculate that since Jin GuanShan talked about him, he might be sheltering the psychopath, or it's definitely a Wen operation with them holding the puppet strings. We don't even know if he's alive or dead, if anything changed between the time your parents were tasked to hunt him down, and now.

"Other vampires to watch out for are Wen Chao's bit on the side, Wang Lingjiao and Wen Zhuliu, adopted son of Wen Rouhan. The side piece is weak but vicious and vindictive. Has been known to go on random wild killing sprees for absolutely no reason whatsoever, and since Wen Rouhan runs the press circuit, everything gets swept under the carpet. It's only a matter of time before someone decides she's too much effort to keep, and hopefully, that'll be that.

"Wen Zhuliu is a formidable opponent. Wen Rouhan won't even let him out of his sight these days, and we're not sure why. He's kept in the inner sanctum, and is a source of contention because the sons feel as if their father is favouring the cuckoo son."

"Why would they do that? What's so special about him?" Wei Ying wonders.

Baoshan Sanren shrugs casually, but her eyes are shrewd. "Million dollar question. He must be important to Wen Rouhan in some other way apart from family ties."

"How are the Jins involved?" Wei Ying asks her.

"Money. Dirty money comes in and clean money goes out. Plus the "research"," Baoshan Sanren makes the sign for speech marks with both of her hands, "needs funding. Creating synthetic slash new vampires costs greenbacks, and it doesn't grow on trees." She sighs.