Chapter 34

Lan Zhan stops, because to do anything else will have security taking them down, and he can see the guard standing up. He's looking at them, and then behind them, at whoever is stopping them.

Wei Ying is trembling right next to him, and it's at this point that Lan Zhan feels angry. They never should have come here. If Wen Qing knew how hard it was to get them inside, why did she insist on making them go through all that security?

Wei Ying might have trusted her but Lan Zhan was having serious doubts.

They turn around, and Lan Zhan can smell Wei Ying's fear. His blood always smells awful when he's scared, and to make matters worse, he's barely able to stay upright.

Either Wen Qing took too much blood from him in one go, or it could be his dizziness coming back, but no matter which one it is, Lan Zhan doesn't want to find out, here.

"It's Wen Ning."

Lan Zhan hears Wei Ying speak, and there's relief.

It is Wen Ning, and he's rushing to get to them...but hot on his heels is Wen Chao.

Lan Zhan remembered what Wen Qing had told them: Wen Chao actively pursued Wen Ning for the sole purpose of bullying him...

And now both of them were barrelling for the doors, where he and Wei Ying were just seconds from freedom.

From the corner of his eyes, he can see two more security personnel arrive, their hands fluttering close to their weapons.

This is not good.

"Just follow my lead. JieJie sent me." Wen Ning says, whispering it quickly, before turning around to face his nemesis.

Wen Chao is looking pretty bad today, a sickly yellowish tinge to his skin, and dark patches under his eyes. He looks mean and angry now.

"Why are you running, A-Ning? I told you to stop." He said, circling around.

"J-JieJie s-said it w-was u-urgent." Wen Ning has deepened his stutter...?

Why?

Lan Zhan could sense Wei Ying getting angry, because there's a definite change in the way his blood smells now. It's becoming...spicier.

But one word changes the entire dynamics of this stand-off.

"C-contamination. H-have to g-go. I-incineration." Wen Ning says, looking down.

Wen Chao immediately pales, panic in his eyes, and he scowls. It is the look of a hunter when he knows his prey is about to escape.

"Hurry up, then! Why are you wasting time? Get out!" He yells the last bit, and hurriedly moves away.

In fact, just by Wen Ning saying that, everyone has taken a collective step back, and is on high alert.

Contamination must be something really bad, and secondly, something that has happened once before.

Wen Ning turns and heads for the doors, and this time, no one stops them.

They walk fast, and Wen Ning leads them to another building marked Containment. This structure is a solitary square building, sectioned off with no security. They are silent as Wen Ning uses his lanyard to activate the security measures, to actually open the door. Two password verification procedures and a fingerprint scan later, and they're in.

There's a little platform where they wait as the door closes behind them, plunging them in total darkness.

Wei Ying is about to say something when the lights come on, leading them to a staircase that leads downwards. There are lights on every other step, and that's how they see Wen Ning discreetly shake his head.