Chapter 54

The walls are erected from age old thick stone, uneven but tightly packed together with cement. And complete with fire torches ensconced upon the rough surface with metal brackets and holders.

That mediaeval sight is in complete and direct contrast to the modern glass walls separating different labs with state-of-the-art technology, and the few people dressed in white lab coats and eye-protection gear with face masks.

A young woman spots them leaving the safety of the elevator and murmurs something to a colleague, who nods and takes over what she was doing. She strides to the glass door separating them, punches in a number and as the door opens, she throws off her lab coat and tosses it into a corner. Her safety goggles follow, and then she steps outside, right into Wei Ying's personal space.

Now, he gets a chance to really look at her.

She looks like his mother, that is Wei Ying's first thought.

Silver eyes, so much like his own, are staring back at him, and she is doing the same as he is, studying him in return. The arched brows so elegantly shaped over her lovely, sharply intelligent eyes, the curve of her cheek, and Wei Ying can see his mother's lips in her smile. There are minor differences, and Wei Ying can tell, this isn't his mother.

"Who are you?" Wei Ying breathes out at last, blinking away tears. He has no idea why he's so emotional right now.

She steps even closer and with a single finger, she lifts the locket out from under his shirt.

"May I?"

There's a strength in her voice which suggests that, by asking, she's extending a courtesy. That she didn't need to ask, but she did out of choice.

Wei Ying takes the locket off from around his neck and hands it to her.

"Follow."

Wei Ying's feet obey even before his brain has a chance to catch up.

They walk past many closed off labs with glass walls, and then they come to an area that seems definitely more comfortable looking and less clinical. There are black leather sofas arranged in a semicircle around a crest on the floor.

Wei Ying gasps and the lady looks back at him, and then as she follows his gaze, she smiles sadly. Sword Guy is following them as she leads them past a pair of double oak doors.

They bear the coat of arms on the other side of his locket.

There are no doubts in his mind now that this place, that lady and himself, are deeply connected.

"Wait!" Wei Ying suddenly says, feeling braver by the minute.

Both Sword Guy and the lady stop, just as she is about to turn the lights on.

"What is it?" She asks him curiously.

"I need my partner."

"No. This place isn't a hotel where anyone can come and go." She's frowning now.

Wei Ying thinks she could look scary if she wanted to.

"No, please, you don't understand. He's gonna go batshit crazy if he doesn't find me! I don't want him to do anything rash, like provoking people he shouldn't be. The only reason I came here was because that guy," Wei Ying glowers at Sword Guy, "said we were in danger. Lan Zhan should be here."

"What's he going to do? Storm Wen Laboratories?" Sword Guy scoffs.

But when Wei Ying goes pale, swaying on his feet, the lady barks out orders, while steadying him, as Sword Guy straightens up, alarmed.