Chapter 7: Sails, Rumours & The Code

On top of the Interceptor, the crew and our heroes were fighting against the strong winds and wild ruthless waves. A giant storm had caught them midway and now they fought for their survival. The rain poured hard upon their faces and backs as they gave their best to keep the ship in one piece and help it survive the journey.

Will and Gibbs were pulling the rope of the middle sail to hold it against the strong winds but a big wave came aboard and hit them head-on. The two men were pushed back to the other side of the ship as the rope slipped from their hands.

"Oh no," Gibbs explained as the sail started to weaken and bend by the winds. Will stood up and was about to head to the rope when someone beat him to it. Artemis jumped from the nets of the mainmast she was holding and grabbed onto the flying rope mid-air.

Using her body and the winds, she bent the rope to her will and landed safely on the board. She gave a hard pull on the rope and bent her knees, making the sail whole once again. She swiftly tied the rope down and secured it in a fast knot just as the two men joined her. Will was utterly surprised, knowing about her skills but never witnessing such stands or tricks. Gibbs was mostly shocked while mentally thanking the sea for having her on board while regretting what he said about women bringing bad luck.

Well, they were caught in a very bad storm but they wouldn't do much if it weren't for the two women who seemed to work professionally on the ropes.

"How can we sail to an island that no one can find?!" Will shouted above the noise and strong winds. "With a compass that doesn't work?!"

Artemis looked at Gibbs for answers as well while helping them secure and pull more on the ropes.

"It is true, the compass doesn't point north. But we do not try to find north, are we?!"

Artemis looked at Jack who was at the side of the helm. His left hand on it and guiding the ship while with his right hand, he held onto the open now compass, staring at it. She frowned her eyebrows as her eyes landed on the compass. She kept feeling that there was something weird about it, she knew it but she couldn't say how. She didn't even understand how this compass worked, without pointing north but now it wasn't the time to question it.

"That fool will have us lose the canvas, and the masts besides!" Artemis said out loud to the duo who gave a nod with their heads as Gibbs found the courage to go towards the captain who was two-fixed on his compass.

"We are best to drop canvas, sir"

"She can hold a bit longer," Jack said to his first mate with a smile as his eyes travelled to the dark and cloudy horizon.

"What's in your head to put you in such a fine mood?"

"We're catching up!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After the storm died, the Interceptor kept sailing despite the thick mist around it. Artemis sat in the crow's nest when she spotted faint figures in the mist. The wind was howling and she could swear it sounded as if people were whispering to her. 

She leaned towards the edge of the round hold and let her eye advert around her. Indeed, all around them were shipwrecks. Ships that once stood glorious and powerful were now destroyed and barely able to stay on top of the peaceful waters. The hair at the back of her neck stood up and she found herself shivering slightly, a weird aura surrounded the place they were.

"Dead men tell no tales," Cotton's parrot said and for a moment she swore someone was behind her.

However, when she turned; there was no one. She looked at the shipwrecks again, her mind going back to the Huntress and her father. A deep sigh escaped her lips and she slid down a rope to join the rest of the crew, who were leaning at the sides and had their eyes on the destroyed ships.