Chapter 47: Temporarily Separated

[A/N] - Some of you might have noticed updating activity in this book. Just wanted to let you know that I was editing the previous chapters a little bit. Since when I first wrote them it was a few years ago and my writing style had matured but also improved ever since.

Smaller changes took place but nothing important. Now, here is a lovely new chapter that I know all of you have been waiting for.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Somewhere on the island, unknown coordinates - A Few Hours Later

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Artemis and the rest of the crew, along with their latest addition, all walked through the forest that seemed endless.

While the thickness of the trees had changed and now they could see more sky above them, they still felt as if this path would never end; or at least, not anytime soon.

Eventually, the need for a break became too big and Blackbeard was forced to let everyone catch their breaths but also rest their aching legs. It offered a break for Philip, who had been silently carrying Serena all those hours through the uneasy terrain.

Artemis approached the mermaid while the holy man left to refill his water pouch. She was placed at the base of a tree, her body barely covered by Philip's jacket and her back pressed against the tree trunk. She did not speak to anyone and was clearly uncomfortable when someone walked too close. Thankfully for her, when Artemis started to approach; no one dared to walk closer or even look her way.

The redhead knelt by her side and surprisingly, Serena seemed to be a little calmer around her. Now whether that had to do with the fact Artemis was a woman or something else; it was not known.

"Here," she said and offered her flask with water. Serena eyed it carefully. "I don't know a lot bout mermaids but I am sure a little bit of water won't harm you"

In the end, the mermaid took the flask and took a few sips. The water was not really cold but it felt like heaven, making her wish she could just throw it on top of her. She had never been for so long away from the water and while she had heard stories of mermaids surviving longer, the idea alone made her uneasy. It also did not help to know what she was truly needed for. She was not stupid and she had picked up where they were heading. All mermaids knew the price of their tears and many of her sisters had perished under the same torture from greedy men of the land.

Yet, she refused to show any tears or fear on her face. She would not give the satisfaction to any dirty pirate that she was vulnerable or intimidated by them.

Artemis sat by her side, enjoying the shade offered to her by the tree. She lifted one knee and rested her hand on it, ironically being the same hand that got harmed by the whip before.

The leather-thin weapon had ripped through layers of clothing from the force and had managed to injure her skin, offering a nice red wound that would eventually scar her slightly tanned skin.

Serena seemed to notice, lowering the empty flask from her lips and looking at it. Her blue eyes were filled with guilt, knowing too well that the whip was intended for her and it would have been her pale skin if the redhead had not interfered when she did.

"Thank you...for protecting me..." she said, her voice low but having this huskiness behind it.

Artemis offered a small smile. "There is no need to thank me," she said. "He had no right to harm you, especially after making you pass through all of that"