Chapter 45: We Got One!

Lighthouse, Whitecap Bay - During the Mermaid Attack

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Reaching the top did not take them long but it tested their stamina. Despite the passing years, both seemed to have it; Jack even more so. Upon reaching the holding tanks for the oil used to power the main light; Jack broke open a valve and let the oil spray out.

Artemis did the same with another valve, increasing the amount of oil spraying out. They both rushed towards the window and glanced behind them for a moment, seeing that the oil was heading directly towards the flames of the main light.

Then, they looked at one another and held hands. With a determined look and a nod, they both jumped at the same time. They fell fast, not once stopping holding hands even as their bodies broke the surface of the cold water.

Just as they were under the waters, the lighthouse exploded. A spectacular concussion lit up the night to a degree that even the mermaids underwater felt frightened but also blinded. Their primary instincts kicked in and they started to flee from the rocks, darting away from the shallows.

Freeing their hands, the two of them started to swim towards the surface. Their coughs could be heard faintly along with their pants, both more than happy to breathe the sweet and cold air they desperately needed.

Their adrenaline rushed into their veins like Greek Fire, keeping them warm momentarily and even reminding them of the old times; when they would partake in all kinds of crazy adventures together.

They exchanged a smile, both enjoying the moment until they heard the sound of water slapping. Turning towards the source, they spotted a Mermaid close up; mistrustful of them. Her eyes were mostly on Jack but before she could try to attack him, the man was pulled back.

Artemis stood between him and the aquatic and her man, both eyes glaring at her. Blackbeard had forbidden her from wearing an eyepatch, always being cryptic about her hiding her blind eye. She hid it mostly with her hair but the water had caused the red locks to be pushed back, exposing her full face.

"Don't" Artemis said, the tone in her voice going dangerously low.

The mermaid watched her, her expression changing from anger to one of surprise and then to frustration upon laying eyes on the redhead. She said something in a language none of the two heroes knew and started to swim away, her tail splashing them with some water before she joined her sisters.

Jack watched silently, merely picking from behind her shoulder. He saw how quickly the mermaid changed her intentions upon laying her eyes on Artemis and a part of him wished to be able to see her face too.

However, before he could, the mermaid swam away.

"Always defending me from the angry ladies, aren't you lass?" he said, trying to joke into the serious moment.

Artemis turned to face him, mismatched eyes falling on his face and her lips did not hide her amusement. "I will start charging you soon" she commented back and splashed him with some water before she dived under it.

She started to swim beneath the still rough surface waters, not bothered by the darkness and lack of light. Somehow, she knew in which direction to swim and let her body guide her there. The faint sound of splashing could be heard as Jack clearly tried to catch up with her but she was a fast swimmer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

By the time Artemis reached the sores, Jack had been left quite behind. She silently climbed on top of some rocks and stopped to catch her breath, her body sore from the running, steps and forced swimming.