Chapter 14: Wedding Crushing & Prison Breaking

Wedding Parlor, Port Royal - Rainy Morning

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was raining and the wedding reception area was deserted except for the bride, Elizabeth, sitting on her haunches facing the ocean. In her hand, she had a flower bouquet while her hair and her dress soaked. Ships with the East India Trading Company insignia on their flags anchored in the bay, while longboats sailed ashore; on one there was a horse and rider; the soldiers swarmed the smithy and Elizabeth rushed off in worry.

She was stopped by the soldiers that crowded the area and soon, Will was brought to her in irons; surrounded by more East India Trading Company soldiers.

"Will. Why is this happening?" she asked as she knelt by his side and placed her hands on his cheeks, her eyes checking him for any signs of injury.

"I don't know...You look beautiful" he said, finally noticing her in her white dress, not caring if it was soaked by now.

"I think it's bad luck for the groom to see the bride before the wedding," she said with a faint smile, trying to ignore the bad feeling that had started to creep up on her.

A new voice soon joined them, destroying the small moment between them.

"Make way. Let me through!" Governor Swann shouted as he pushed past the soldiers towards the couple, only to be barred by crossed spears. "How dare you! Stand your men down at once! Do you hear me?"

"Governor Weatherby Swann, it's been too long," A young man in high-ranked clothing said as he was helped to take off his coat by a soldier.

"Cutler Beckett?" the older man exclaimed in disbelief, been more than a year since the last time he had spoken to that man.

"It's Lord now. Actually" Beckett said in an annoyed tone but held his composure and controlled his facial expressions as best as he could.

"Lord or not, you have no reason and no authority to arrest this man," he said and motioned towards Will.

"I do. Mr Mercer?" On cue, another man dressed in black clothing walked towards them with a wooden box in his hands. He opened the box and exposed papers rolled up neatly inside. Becket took one out. "The warrant for the arrest of one William Turner," he said and handed it to the Governor.

"This warrant is for Elizabeth Swann!" he said in disbelief after scanning it over briefly.

"Oh, is it? That's annoying, my mistake... " he said, not truly trying much to lie; clearly aware of the content of all those rolled-up parchments. He took back the paper from the Governor. "Arrest her" he said, not caring to hide how intentional everything he said was; like a mastermind manipulator.

As soldiers grabbed Elizabeth, she tried to fight them back while shouting: "On what charges?!" but she was ignored.

At the same time, Will tried to move the soldiers to protect his lover. "No!" he shouted as he kept fighting but the soldiers were strong and held him in his place; unable to act or do anything.

Beckett looked through the small box and eventually pulled another rolled-up paper. "Aha, here's the one for William Turner." he handed the right paper to the Governor, who could only look at it in disbelief. "And I have another one for a Mr James Norrington. Is he present?" he asked, holding the third of the four papers up in the air.

"What are the charges?" Elizabeth asked again, now calmer but with the same fire behind her eyes.

"Commodore Norrington resigned his commission some months ago" the Governor answered Beckett, both men not answering Elizabeth's question.