Chapter 11: Memories

Artemis saw Jack jumping into the water, knowing very well that he would swim to the island where Elizabeth had gone as well. Now, she had to free herself and join them. She didn't have a big plan in her mind but simply let her instincts guide her. After all, under pressure, the best plans are formed.

She closed her eyes and took a deep breath, feeling every muscle on her body getting ready. The wind picked up slightly as if it was giving her a signal and she grabbed the chance and brought her head back hitting Bo' sun on the neck due to the lack of height; the man let her go as he grabbed his neck. She turned and delivered a strong kick to his sensitive area.

The small 'thud' of his knees against the wooden deck drew everyone's attention.

"Get her!" Barbossa shouted as Artemis ducked or jumped above the men. She head-butted Raggeti and grabbed her belt with her sword and gun. As more men approached her, she jumped up and gathered her knees as she brought her hands below her body, successfully bringing them forward.

The muffled cry of Will made her look at him but her strong stance seemed to give strength and courage to the younger man. Artemis was forced to back away towards the railing by the men, before running towards the edge and jumping into the water. She brought her hands forward and landed with her headfirst into the cold waters.

The cries of the men on the ship were muffled away as she opened her eyes and started to swim below the giant ship. Her lungs burnt by the time she had managed to cross the distance and she took a deep breath before diving again and swimming below the water.

She struggled with her hands tied and tried to use her whole body in a synchronized motion to swim forward. For a moment, she felt like those sirens in the tales she had heard as a child but she quickly focused more on the present. She managed to reach the sore just in time to hear Jack and Elizabeth arguing. She coughed some saltwater that had entered her mouth and drew their attention.

"Artemis!" Elizabeth exclaimed as she rushed to her older sister and helped her to sit higher on the sand.

"How did you escape?" Jack asked.

"Some dirty playing, some head butting and lots of luck," she said as she tried to catch her breath while the younger woman grabbed the sword and cut the ropes that held her hands. "So, what is the plan?" she asked as she rubbed her red wrists.

"There is no plan! We stay here and drink rum until we die!" Elizabeth said, anger rising fast as she looked at Jack.

The man opened his mouth but before he could utter a word, the woman marched away while shouting curses.

"Do not worry. She will come back once she is calm. It is not like she can go anywhere" Artemis said as she sat next to him, her sword on her lap as she caressed the blade.

"I feel sorry for the man who will take care," Jack said in an attempt to joke about the situation and ease the tension existing in the airw2 t.

"You mean James? Well, I am sure he can survive or best-case scenario; she ends up commanding him"

The duo cracked a smile and chuckled before turning to look at each other. Their smiles dropped and their faces turned serious as they stared into each other eyes. Jack's brown hues landed on the eyepatch, which was now visible as her red hair was pushed back by the adventure.

"Lassie..."

"You wonder about the eye, don't you?" Artemis said and looked at the water in front of her. "Well, if we are going to die; I see no point in keeping it a secret. I must warn you, it is not exactly a happy story"

"Since when does this life have happy stories?"

"Tell me about it" she agreed with him and let out a heavy sigh. It had been too long since she shared her story and she was not that keen on reliving those memories again. "It was around 4 years ago"