Chapter 43: New Plans & New Promises

"Nothing compared to have done to others, Jack," she said, her voice a mere whisper as she continued. "He knows...more than he tells me. He needs me and I need him, it is a fair share of the deal" she confessed.

Jack felt the need to argue but he understood that her mind would not be changed, not anytime soon. Instead, he decided to focus on something else that might help him find a way for both of them to be free of him.

"What about the Fountain, lassie? If he drinks from it, you will not be free anytime soon"

She felt the need to scoff but held herself just as the ship swayed in one direction, making Jack turn it into an elegant spin and save both of them from the fall.

"He will never manage to finish the ritual" she confessed, making him look at her with curiosity. "I know the one-legged man will come for him...I have seen it, but I haven't told him"

It was a month ago when she had that vision, more like a dream. She had fallen asleep to the music from the shell necklace and she revisited the same vision she had, only that it was broken in fragments.

She didn't see much but she saw a blade passing through Blackbeard's back, stopping him from continuing the ritual. Unfortunately, that was all she could remember from it and she truly hoped it was a vision and not some inner need to see him dead that manifested in her dreams.

Jack kept looking at her, trying to make the most out of it. He was not used to hearing her talk of visions and the supernatural, because both were always ones to use logic and human power in whatever they did.

However in her case, perhaps she was not fully on her own. Across the years he had come to think of what they went through together and the last three days especially, had put him into deep thought.

Listening to what Blackbeard said, he had come to notice things from their past adventures. Moments from when there was just a tad of something mystical behind her actions and now he could see it clearer.

However, he could not help but wonder for how long had she known. Did she know from the start and simply hid it from him and everyone else? He was itching to know but he knew their time was almost up and he had one more question unanswered.

"And the ritual? What do you know about it?" he asked and was surprised when she smirked.

A sudden sway of the ship made them lose their balance but Artemis was faster. She timed their fall and by turning her body slightly, she ended up straddling Jack. She looked down at him, his back pressed against the wooden floor as her hands lay next to his head.

She kept smirking, lowering her head to be closer to his as her fiery red hair fell to the side of her face and neck; leaving the other side exposed and tempting him to place his lips against her skin once again.

With one hand, she gently caressed his cheek. "I knew you hadn't reached the fountain. If you had, you would know the ritual" she said, her breath almost reaching his lips. "But to keep your cover and ensure you stay alive, I will tell you," she said as she lowered herself more and brought her lips next to his ear. "Waters from the Fountain of Youth, both in each silver cup of Cartagena. One has the shimmering tear of a Mermaid, destined to be the cup that takes the year of another, who drinks from the other cup"

She pulled her face slowly away from his ear and looked back at him, seeing the gears in his head working as he took all the information she had just given him. However, once he had done that, he focused on something far more important.

The feeling of her body against his, caused it to burn despite the layers of clothing separating them. Oh, how he wished he could take them off her and enjoy the sight of her body and skin, as his fingers and lips trailed marks against it.