Chapter 34: Let the Battle Begin!

The Black Pearl, as it was planned left first, being the first ship to battle. As was expected, the Dutchman did the same. Both armies stayed where they were, anchors down and waiting. The big and crucial battle of this war would take place between the two ships, between the two leaders.

If the Pirates were to fail to take down Jones, then all was lost. Perhaps some Pirate Ships could escape the massacre. But if our heroes found a way to defeat the cursed Captain, then there was still hope.

Barbossa was already behind the helm, leading as the wind kept picking up. The rain fell harder on everyone as they tried to keep the ropes tied, the canons ready and the powder dry. Artemis was one of them, shouting orders above the howling winds as their speed increased greatly by the second.

"Have you noticed, on top of everything, it's raining!?" Pintel shouted annoyed, his clothes sticking to his body.

Ragetti gave a nod. "That's a bad sign."

Gibbs rushed up and down like a madman. "Man, the capstan... keep that powder dry!" his aged eyes took notice of something and he rushed to the port. He paled a few tones as he noticed a humongous whirlpool forming not that far away from them. "Maelstrom!"

Artemis heard his words and rushed to the front, holding a rope so she wouldn't fall into the sea. Her blue eye landed on the whirlpool and for a moment, she felt something...something coming from the huge spinning endless whirlpool.

Like the faintest of gut feelings...something pulling her towards it. If she was not holding on to the rope, she would have fallen inside by the next wave that crashed against the ship. The droplets of water fell on her and she shook her head, waking from her trance.

Yet, something seemed to have been awoken inside of her as things started to fall right into place. She wasted no time and started to rush towards the helm. Screw what everyone said about the Maelstorm, they did not know it was the wrong decision to avoid it.

She raced across the deck, jumping above fallen sailors and dodging flying ropes. Red hair was pushed back by the strong winds but she kept running, before reaching the stairs leading up to the helm. She climbed them up two at a time, not once getting out of breath as her mind was already set.

"Move!" she shouted to Barbossa, coming fast and she would have knocked him down if he had not taken a few steps back by instinct.

The currents tried to make her go off course but she stubbornly refused to let them move the ship an inch. Her hands gripped the wheel with tight white knuckles, keeping it steady as they were approaching the whirlpool.

"What ar' ya doing?!" he shouted and looked at her.

She didn't return the look, attention focused on the horizon. "What we must do"

There was a sudden increase in speed as they entered the edge of the whirlpool. The waters threatened to pull the helm to the side but she kept it steady, cutting through them with determination.

Across from them, the Dutchman did the same thing.

Most sailors and pirates seemed shocked, almost scared by the sudden move. However, when they saw Artemis behind the wheel, no one questioned. For those that have sailed with her knew, if she was behind the wheel then the wind was in their favour. Not once had she ever led them through bad waters or storms, only getting them out of it.

At that moment, many prayed that this time it would be no exception.

"Brace up the yards, ya cockeyed deck apes... dyin' is a day worth livin' for!" Barbossa shouted as the ship moved faster and deeper into the maelstrom.