Chapter 10 - Seizure

The next day Lo'ak had dragged Neteyam with him, along with Kiri and Tuk, to meet Tsireya and Rotxo. Neteyam had been resistant in going after realising that Aonung would not be joining them. But Lo'ak had managed to convince him to go, persisting that they need to 'learn more about the culture'. He wasn't wrong but Neteyam knew that came out of the boy's mouth was bullshit because he only wanted to go and see Tsireya.

The Sully children had met the two metkayinas at the shallow reef where they had learned to ride their ilus. They had mounted their ilus, Tuk riding with Kiri, then began to follow as Tsireya led them through the caves and floating rocks. In a way they reminded Neteyam of his home and the hallelujah mountains.

"This is the cove of the ancestors, our most sacred place." The girl brought them further into the cove, the world around them dimming the further they went. They hovered above on the water, Tsireya then pointing down below them. "And this is the spirit tree."

Tsireya slipped off her ilu, diving under the water, shortly followed by Rotxo. The Sully children looked at each other, shrugging before copying their actions.

Below the water was beautiful as the spirit tree was fluorescent and bright, shining under the water. Neteyam looked over to Kiri, smiling at her excitement. Only eywa could know the true extent of Neteyam's love for his siblings.

Neteyam looked back over to Tsireya as the girl motioned for the siblings to follow her closer to the tree. As they all came closer she brought her own queue in front of her, signalling for the others to do the same. They followed her silent instructions, watching intently as she brought her queue to the tree, connecting them.

Neteyam watched as Kiri did not hesitate to quickly connect to the spirit tree next to him. He followed suit shortly after her, quickly becoming immersed into eywa.

Suddenly he was back in Aonung's bed, the boy behind him still awake as he wrapped his arms around him. Neteyam smiled into the touch, very calm in the moment. He turned around to face the boy, bringing his hand up to caress his cheek.

However the moment was abruptly interrupted as Neteyam felt something strange. He quickly came back to reality, the bright lights around him flickering like crazy. He turned to face Kiri before realising she was the source of the strange feeling. She was seizing.

He sprung to action, quickly disconnecting her queue from the tree and bringing her up to the surface. The others following him shortly after. He called over his ilu placing Kiri in front of him before bending down to give her mouth to mouth.

"Is she breathing? Neteyam, is she breathing?" Rotxo was panicking as Neteyam tried not to think about how cute it was that Rotxo actually cared for his sister.

——

Neteyam watched as the helicopter landed on the island, his uncle Norm and max appearing from the inside. They both rushed over to his father before being led into the Sully's hut.

Neteyam waited as patiently as he could outside of the hut, not even saying a word when Ronal and Neytiri chased out the scientists. He was still worried sick about his sister but didn't want to express it. Rotxo stood close by also in silence, anxiety wavering off of him.

They both turned their heads as they heard footsteps coming towards them, Aonung. Neteyam could barely hold back his tears as the boy approached.

"What's happening Teyam?"
"It's Kiri. She's had a seizure of some kind." Neteyam almost threw himself into Aonung's arms, the other boy quickly wrapped one hand around his waist before bringing his other hand up to his hair to soothe him. It hadn't taken long for Neteyam to return again to his poker face, trying to hide his emotions once again.

They stood for a few minutes before they heard the relieved sounding voice of Tuk followed shortly by Neytiri's. "Kiri! you're awake."
"Oh Kiri, my sweet child."

However the sweet and relieved voices were quickly followed by Kiri's cries. This caused Neteyam head to shoot up and turn around towards the entryway of the hut. He quickly ran inside to find his mother hugging his sister on the ground.

Neteyam joined them, falling down to his knees and holding Kiri's cheeks in his hands. He lent down to her ear stroking her hair, trying to comfort her. "My beautiful baby sister."