Chapter 6 - The Rumbar Policy

Bad Pirate: "Fall back! These bastards are too strong!"

Our crew finally managed to push the enemies back to their ship.

Crew: "YEEEAAHH!!"

We sailed away from their ship and the whole time, I stayed with Brook, shaking slightly with my eyes shut tight. Until I felt a gentle hand on my back and looked up to see Captain Yorki giving me a warm smile.

Yorki: "It's alright now, Gwen. Those cocky bastards picked a fight they couldn't win. Why don't you go down and help Laboon bring the guys back on the ship."

Gwen: "... Yes, captain..."

Brook helped me down and I headed over to the sea platform.

Brook: "Something's not right."

Yorki: "She's probably just a little shaken. That was a surprise attack after all."

Brook: "And she almost got kidnapped..."

He put a comforting hand on Brook's shoulder.

Yorki: "Don't worry too much. She'll feel better by tonight."

Brook: "I hope so."

I lowered myself down to sea level.

Gwen: "Over here, Laboon."

He brought them over and I helped them onto the platform.

Gwen: "Are you guys okay?"

"I'm fine, but his leg's hurt pretty bad." "Damn it *sigh*... thanks for the save, Laboon. I owe ya."

Gwen: "Yeah, you did good, buddy."

He smiled. As I pulled us back up to deck, I glanced down at my crewmate's leg. It looked pretty bad.

Gwen: "Is it broken?"

"Nah, I'll be fine... Looks worse than it is, trust me."

He gave me a reassuring smile.

"Damn, you've been a pirate for less than a week and already a big surprise attack." "But you did good despite that, and that tattoo looks awesome on you too!" "Pirate life is full of crazy surprises, but that was just crap timing." "Yeah. You okay after all that, kid?"

I nodded with a forced smile. That night, I pretended I wasn't feeling well so I could be excused early.

Yorki: "Hm? Your stomach hurts?"

I nodded.

Yorki: "Alright. Why don't you turn in early then. I'll be up in a while."

In truth, I felt fine. I just wanted to be alone with my thoughts. So I nodded and headed to bed. Another bed was put in the captain's cabin for me, so I don't have to sleep below deck with the whole crew. I lay there, letting my thoughts wander, wiping my eyes a couple times until the cabin door opened again.

Yorki: "You awake, Gwen?"

I rolled over to let him know I was.

Yorki: "Feeling better?"

I shook my head. He took his hat, coat and boots off, and crouched down next to me, his expression concerned.

Yorki: "You've been real quiet today. Since we chased off those guys from earlier... You sure you're gonna be okay?"

I nodded with another forced smile.

Gwen: "Yes captain... I'm alright."

Yorki: "... Alright. Good night then, kiddo. Wake me if you need anything."