Chapter 9 - Cutting It Close

Gwen: "I don't care! I... I said no!"

Segawa: "What's going on in here?"

Marine Doctor: "Captain Segawa, she's bleeding out. But she won't take the transfusion."

Segawa: "The hell's your problem, E.C?"

Gwen: "What do you care...? Just put me in the brig!"

Marine Doctor: "Please cooperate. You're injured but this'll make you feel better, I promise."

He reached for my arm but I backed up into the wall.

Gwen: "Get it-- away!"

Segawa: "Just shut up and hold still!"

Gwen: "No! I'd rather die than... than have the blood of a marine in me!"

Segawa: "You stubborn little runt!"

Marine Doctor: "Captain, she's getting pale and her breathing is laboured."

Segawa: "Just wrap them up then. She can slowly bleed out for all I care. After today, you'll be the Warden's problem."

Marine Doctor: "... Aye, sir..."

I silently swore at Sea Cow as he left. The room was spinning, and I felt sick. But I tried my best not to let it show.

Marine Doctor: "Come now, at least lie down and let me bandage them."

Gwen: "*pant pant*.... Fine..."

He wrapped up my shoulder and leg and cuffed my hands to the sides of the bed.

Gwen: "What the-"

Marine Doctor: "Sorry, kid. Orders. It's just a precaution."

He stood up to leave.

Gwen: "Wait... tell me... how much longer until... we reach the Calm Belt?"

Marine Doctor: "Well, if this north bound wind keeps up, I'd say... maybe about two hours."

Gwen: "... Kay... thanks for patching me up... I guess..."

Marien Doctor: "Don't worry about it. I may be a marine, but I'm a doctor before anything else. Hang in there, E.C. I'll be back in a while to check on you."

He left, leaving me alone in the doctor's office. All I could do now was lay and wait. I looked down at the gunshot wound in my leg and glanced at the other in my shoulder to see blood seeping through the bandages.

Gwen: "I'm still bleeding... and only two more hours till the Calm Belt... Please hurry, guys..."

Meanwhile on the Rumbar's ship...Captain was at the bow, staring at Laboon as he swam ahead, leading the way.

Brook: "What is it, captain?"

Yorki: "Something else has been bugging me about this whole situation... How could the marines just show up out of nowhere?"

Brook: "You're right. We were on an uninhabited island."

He stood there in silent thought for a minute before suddenly gasping and bolting down below deck.

Brook: "Ah?! Hey, what's going on!"

Brook followed him only to find him in the lower storage room, clutching something in his hand and shaking.