Chapter 18 - The Opportune Moment

Laboon found me further down the river sitting on a low branch of a tree on the bank. He squeaked with concern, to get my attention. Meanwhile, I was sat up there lightly stroking the tattoo on my arm and trying not to cry. He squeaked again.

Gwen: "I hear you, buddy..."

He whimpered, fretting about what Brook had said. I swivelled around to face him.

Gwen: "Hey, Laboon... what if... this is all just... just a joke?"

He tilted his head.

Gwen: "A really bad joke, don't get me wrong. But I mean, over the past couple weeks leading up to our arrival on this island, the whole crew's been in on it! Saying the same thing, every day."

He chirped loudly, knowing how mean that is.

Gwen: "I know, but... It's not the first time Captain's played a mean joke on me."

Yorki: "Hahahaha, you should see your face."

Gwen: "Uhm...... pardon?"

Yorki: "Heheh, I'm not mad, kid. I hope I didn't scare you too much."

Gwen: "Heh, I'm sure we'll laugh about this later!"

His spirits seemed to lighten at that as I climbed down the tree.

Gwen: "Sure, it's true kids don't travel across the Grand Line... But we're different, huh! We're Rumbar Pirates! Nothing can stop us!"

Maybe I was just being in denial. But what else was I supposed to believe? The crew we've both come to call family is going to abandon us? I refused.

Gwen: "Come on, let's go home. Back to the ship."

Laboon and I hurried back down the river towards the shore.

Gwen: "I bet they're waiting for us back there, and they're gonna be like 'Hah! Just kidding, we would never leave you alone! Come on, let's sing all the way to the Grand Line!', I can't wait."

But when we got to the shore, we found the exact opposite of that... We found nothing.

Gwen: "Laboon... where's the ship?"

I turned as Laboon squeaked loudly, spotting our ship heading off towards the horizon... without us.

Gwen: "Okay... this isn't funny anymore. CAPTAIN YORKI, WAIT!! COME BACK!!"

Laboon joined me in calling out to them. With no kind of response, I started hyperventilating. My heart sank, and my stomach twisted, I felt like I was gonna be sick.

Gwen: "No... This... this can't be happening... HEYYY!! COME BAAAACK!!"

The crew heard us, but with heavy hearts, they didn't turn back.

Brook: "Captain..."

Yorki: "I know it's tough... but we can't turn back. Remember, we're doing this for their own good."

Gwen: "Laboon, go get them!"

He turned back to me, puzzled at my panic.

Gwen: "I was wrong! This isn't a joke! Go, hurry!"

He swam as fast as he could trying to catch up to the ship, crying out for them to come back. But still, they did not.

Gwen: "No! I won't accept this... CAPTAIN!"