Chapter 25 - Grand Line Rookies

Crocus: "How many times do I gotta drum this into you, girl?! Quit taking your life so lightly! Just because you're the Eternal Child, does NOT mean you're invincible!"

I sat there staring at my feet, being scolded while Crocus treated my arm and Zoro's leg.

Crocus: "Think about your brother! If you got yourself killed, it would break him! You know that!"

Gwen: "Okay, enough already! I'm sorry I jumped overboard and got into a fight. But I won't apologise for doing my job!"

Crocus: "And what's that?"

Gwen: "Taking care of Laboon."

Crocus: "Yeah, well it's my job to take care of both of you. So stop making my job harder, damn it! I'm getting too old to chase your rouge ass around!"

He finished tending to our wounds and I stuck my tongue out at him as he walked away.

Zoro: "Hey, sorry Luffy and I got you in trouble."

Gwen: "It's nothing new. I can handle it... I'm sorry I stabbed you."

Zoro: "It was the heat of the moment, don't worry about. You handle yourself pretty well. Who taught you to wield a dagger?"

Gwen: "My captain. And my friend who was a swordsman. Despite them knowing my body couldn't get stronger... they never gave up on me. And they helped me find a way to fight."

Zoro laid back with his hands behind his head.

Zoro: "I had a friend once... You kinda remind me of her."

Gwen: "How so?"

Zoro: "We were just kids. She was stronger than me, and a better fighter. But she was convinced I'd surpass her soon enough. Because 'girls can beat boys, but a woman can't beat a man'."

Gwen: "She said that?"

Zoro: "Yeah... I told her that was ridiculous. Gender and age don't mean a thing when it comes to strength. I knew if she kept fighting, kept training... then she'd be strong enough to defeat anyone. Man or woman..."

Gwen: "What happened to her?"

Zoro: "... She died before she got the chance... Her name was Kuina... and she's the strongest swordswoman I've ever known."

He sat up and looked me in the eyes.

Zoro: "You proved my point today... Gender and age mean nothing. You're a strong kid, Gwen."

Gwen: "My muscles haven't been able to grow in over sixty years... This... is all I got."

Zoro: "But what you lack in physical strength, you make up for in skill and heart."

I smiled bashfully. But then, I remembered something I'd said to him.

Gwen: "Listen, Zoro... about what I said before... About you being the worst pirates I've ever met... I didn't mean it. Well, I did, but... I didn't know you were trying to help... I'm sorry."

Zoro: "Stop with the sorrys. It's water under the bridge... Just... keep doing you, kid. Never apologise for that."

I nodded and giggled as he ruffled my hair. Luffy, Zoro... Nami, Usopp and Sanji... they're all really good. And I take back all the bad things I said about them. I looked down at Zoro's three swords. They all looked different, but the one that stood out had a white hilt wrap. The one he fought me with.