Chapter 7 - A Special Bond

A few days more on the ship, Brook started teaching me sword defence training. Until we arrived at our destination, a jungle island with a beach. But even better, somewhere on this uninhabited island is treasure! That's what we came here for. We anchored the ship and headed to shore. I was probably the most excited out of everyone.

Gwen: "Treasure awaits! Come on, let's go!"

Yorki: "Hold it, you!"

He scooped me up as I ran towards the jungle.

Gwen: "What?"

He put me down and I stared up at him confused.

Yorki: "Someone needs to stay and mind the ship. That someone's going to be you, Gwen."

Gwen: "Whaaat?!"

I looked around at the crew. They all seemed to be in mutual agreement about this.

Gwen: "But Captain Yorki, that's not fair! I want to hunt for treasure too!"

Yorki: "I get that, kiddo, but keeping the ship safe is an important job too. Come on."

He walked me over to Laboon next to the ship.

Yorki: "You and Laboon are the Ship Security Team today."

Gwen: "What's she need protecting from anyway? This is a remote, uninhabited island."

Yorki: "We don't know that yet. We've only just arrived."

I pouted at him, noticing the crew getting ready to go in the jungle.

Gwen: "... Okaay..."

Yorki: "That's my girl."

He ruffled my hair and headed back to the crew.

Brook: "We'll bring back lots of treasure!!"

Crew: "See you later!!"

Yorki: "You kids be good while we're gone!!"

Laboon and I waved as they disappeared into the jungle.

Gwen: "*sigh* Hey Laboon... do you think captain's making me stay behind because I'm still so early in my defence training?"

He shook his head.

Gwen: "Can't think of any other reason though... In that case, I'll be right back."

I headed for the jungle. He chirped loudly, thinking I was going to follow the crew.

Gwen: "Don't worry, I'll stay where you can see me!"

I searched the edge of the jungle until I found what I was looking for.

Gwen: "Aha! Laboon, look!"

I ran back to the beach, carrying a long stick.

Gwen: "This stick is long enough to be like a sword. Perfect for practicing what Brook's been teaching me, don't you think?"

He squeaked in awe.

Gwen: "Now to find an opponent..."

I looked up and down the beach for something solid. Laboon chirped and I turned to see him gesturing to the ship.

Gwen: "Good idea, buddy. I'm sure she won't mind. This is only a stick after all."

I stood at the base of the ship and readied myself.